Macy reached across and closed her door.
'I'm guessing your visit is to do with Twain,' Macy responded to her earlier question uncomfortably.

'Yes,' she agreed, 'but more importantly because of our grandson.'

Macy took the chair next to the old lady. 'I ___ I'm sorry,' I didn't tell you,' she murmured somewhat guiltily.

'May I ask you a personal question?'

Silently Macy wanted to die of embarrassment. 'Okay,' she reluctantly agreed.

'Why didn't you sue Twain for maintenance towards his child?'

Macy's head fell. 'I ___ I was able to manage,' she mumbled.

'Dr. Skye___.'

'Please call me Macy,' Macy pleaded.

'Thank you Macy. 'I have come to make an appeal to you,' she spoke softly.

A feeling of dread rode over Macy, like a virus attacking her system. 'Yes.'

'Marry my son.'

'What!'

Not that your son is talking to me right now.

Anne smiled easily. 'Parker is our grandson. We want to be a part of his life. You know Twain talks about him all the time, but he told his father you would not marry him and he says he can't blame you___ that he hadn't believed you when you told him ten years ago that you were pregnant with his child.'

He told his parents all that!

'This is uncomfortable,' Macy stood up.

'I'm sorry to do that, Macy. My husband and I would like Parker to take the Crawford name. He is a Crawford heir, you know. He has a right to benefit everything due to him, especially since we wrongfully believed our Twain would not be able to father children.'

Tears threatened to flow down Macy's cheeks.

But Twain does not love me....I can't marry him.

'He's smitten with you, you know' the old lady spoke as if reading Macy's mind. 'Twain talks about you so proudly. He's never spoken to us about any other woman in his life,' she laughed.

Macy wanted to die of embarrassment. Her face was scarlet. 'I don't know what to say,' Macy murmured.

'You will make me the happiest mother, if you marry my son,' she urged. 'I know he cares deeply for you.'

He does not love me!

'Please__ it's a big decision.'

Anne laughed softly. I'm delighted you are not saying no.'

Macy could not see how she could marry Twain, when he was not talking to her and if the talk in the corridor that Twain had moved on, was anything to go by. He was not interested in her any more.

'Well let me not keep you,' she stood up. 'I shall take my leave,' she smiled.

'Thank you for the visit, Mrs. Crawford.'

'Call me Anne,' she smiled, patting Macy on her arm. Anne hovered at the door before she spoke again.
'My husband wanted Twain to have you and Parker over for dinner, but Twain says Parker is still coming to terms with who is father is and that he needs time.

Bless his brain...if he does not have a heart!

'Twain's right,' Macy agreed. 'Parker needs a little more time. I promise to have Parker visit in the not too distant future.'