Chapter 9

Macy stood up and helped to clear the table. Her eyes met Ethan's meaningfully. He seemed to have read the silent plea there accurately for he picked up a casserole dish and followed her into the kitchen. The second Ethan entered the kitchen, she pounced on him. 'You're taking me home right? I mean I don't want to inconvenience Twain. I'm sure ___ Heather would appreciate the time with her ___ her ___.'

Macy could not get the words out to describe what Twain was to Heather. Ethan laughed heartily. 'Macy,' his hands cupped her elbows, 'you're safer with my big brother than you are with me,' he grinned.

I beg to differ!

She smiled. 'If you don't mind, I'd rather go home with you. I trust you to behave like a gentleman,' her grey eyes challenged him.

'Now that's what I call a low blow,' he sighed.

'Sorry,' she grinned. 'We're good?'

'Yeah ,' his eyes fell to his hands holding her elbow then lifted to her lips. 'You sure are a looker, Macy. One hot, sexy babe,' he grinned, 'yet for my seemingly immeasurable sins, I am being punished.'

'Don't make me feel like a wicked witch,' she spoke softly.

'All right,' he relented. 'Plant one right there,' he pointed to his cheek.

Macy chuckled softly. She reached up and pressed her lips to Ethan's cheek and at that precise moment, in barged Twain. Macy guiltily stepped back as if she was caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Ethan was still smiling, his arm still holding onto Macy. When Macy dared to lift her eyes to Twain's, his were dark and thunderous. Her eyes narrowed indifferently. She did not understand what the hell his problem was, not like they were in a relationship or something. And wasn't he sleeping every night with Heather?

'Heather would like to leave,' Twain announced, glaring at Macy.

Her chin came up defiantly. She linked her arm through Ethan's. 'We're leaving too, right?' She smiled at Ethan.

'We were just about to come say goodbye to you guys,' Ethan nodded, innocently, unaware of the highly charged current flowing between Macy and his big brother.

'I guess it's good night then,' Twain's eyes held Macy's. He tried to read the expression there, but May's lids were shuttered. She refused to meet his eyes.

'Good night,' Macy and Ethan echoed simultaneously.

Twain nodded, turned and stormed out. Very slowly Macy released the breath she was holding. Ethan crooked his arm, so she could hold on as they walked back into the lounge. Heather was slinging her handbag onto her shoulder and walking towards the kitchen.

'I was just coming to say bye,' she smiled at Macy.

'Good night,' Macy forced out. She was furiously trying not to think of a very naked Heather wrapped in Twain's arms.

'Was lovely to meet you,' Heather touched Macy's arm. 'Hopefully we can meet again?'

'Sure,' Macy lied. 'We're leaving too,' she dragged Ethan with her and rushed out without looking Twain's way.

Ethan turned towards Macy in the passenger seat, his eyes searching hers. Macy silently prayed he was not going to attempt to kiss her, not now, she wanted out of here.

'He's not an ogre, you know.'

'What?' Macy looked at Ethan all confused.

'My brother. He may be your boss, but he's a respectable guy.'

Macy did not doubt for a second that Ethan loved and respected Twain very much, considering he defended his brother's honour with unmistakable pride.

'I'm just tired,' Macy lied for the second time.