'If I knew you were coming back tonight, I would not have gone out,' she murmured softly.

'I thought I told you, you were off limits to other men!'

Was there any point in arguing with him, when she herself knew the only man she wanted was Twain? She was not sure if her silence was angering him, for he decided to end the call.

'I need to get some sleep. I'm on the early shift,' Twain cut the connection.

'Good night,' she whispered and got the disconnected signal.

     The next morning Macy was on tender hooks when she got to the hospital. She'd expected Twain to come barging into her surgery and have another go at he, but until tea time, he had not made an appearance. Perhaps he was in theatre. When Macy had not heard from him, by lunch time, she was tempted to call him, but her poor ear was not ready for another lashing, so she bit the bullet and stayed put in her surgery. Eventually when hunger pangs gnawed at the walls of her stomach, she dragged herself to the cafeteria.

And there he was in the cafeteria, at one of the tables, biting on a sandwich whilst busy on his laptop. He did not look angry, but then Twain was not one to wear his heart on his sleeve. She contemplated, walking past him, getting some lunch and returning to her surgery, but Twain might construe that as an act of guilt. Summoning the nerve, she dragged her feet to his table. Macy was aware, many pairs of eyes were trained on her. As luck would have it, or was it bad luck? In her peripheral line of vision, she was aware of the two gossip mongers she'd overheard in the ladies rest room. Macy did not look their way, but she could sense their whisperings as she stopped in front of Twain's table.

'Hi,' Macy murmured.

Twain did not bother to look up from his laptop.
'Macy,' he responded, taking another bite of his sandwich, his eyes glued to his laptop.

'How are you?' Macy persevered, with much effort.

'Busy,' he announced, still not making eye contact with her.

How could he be that hurtful? Didn't he know, everyone could see him giving her the cold shoulder? She nodded, even though he could not see.
'Enjoy your lunch,' she murmured, and walked out of the cafeteria again, her appetite lost.

At teatime that afternoon, Macy had the most surprising visit. She stood up, her lips dropping. She was speechless.

'Mrs. Crawford!' Macy announced uncomfortably. She was stunned, confused. Was she also going to ask Macy to back away from her son? She wouldn't need to. Twain was definitely capable of keeping her at arm's length.

'Thank you,' Mrs. Crawford smiled at the gentleman accompanying her. Either he was her driver or perhaps one of the senior security at the hospital, assisting her.

'Good day Dr. Skye,' Anne Crawford greeted with a tender smile.

'Please sit down,' Macy rushed around to offer her a seat.

'I guess you're wondering why I'm here.' Anne smiled.

'Hello, Dr, Skye,' Nurse Julia waltzed in.

Can the bloody woman not keep her nose out of my life for one bloody minute!

'May I bring some refreshments in for Mrs. Crawford?' Julia offered Twain's mother one of her toothpaste advert smiles.

'Nothing for me, thank you,' Anne politely declined.

Julia still hovered, making no attempt to leave. 'Thank you, Nurse Julia,' Macy spoke dismissively.

'Shout if you need anything,' Julia reluctantly dragged herself away.