Chapter 28

A couple of hours later, Valerie woke up. She didn't feel this good in so long. An unbothered sleep was all she needed to at least get her through the day. She sighed and got up. After washing up, she went into the kids' room. They weren't in their cribs, so she walked to Zack's room. Surprisingly, he was sound asleep. She shook him hard.

"Mmm?" He stirred.

"Zack, where are the kids?" Her voice rose.

"In their beds."

"No, they're not. Where are they?" Her heart started racing as she got more scared.

"What do you mean they're not in their beds?" Zack got up quickly. They ran into the kids' room and Zack saw that the babies weren't in their cribs. He ran downstairs. "Val! You better come down and see this."

"What's going on?" She ran downstairs and then stopped. Her hands reached to her mouth. She couldn't believe what she was seeing.

"Hey Val." Valerie looked at Nick holding her babies. Tears started coming down her eyes. Zack took Emma and Nick placed Anthony down on his chair. He walked closer to her.

"You're- you're -" She could barely speak.

"Back? Yes." He smiled.

"But, how?"

"I finished the job early." He took her hand and pulled her to him and hugged her tightly.

"I missed you so much." He felt her tears on his shirt.

"I missed you too." They hugged for awhile and then took the kids up to their beds and walked into their room. They laid down together. Nick put his arms around Valerie's waist tightly. "I've wanted to do this for so long."

"Never leave me, Nick. Never again." She put her hand on his cheek.

"I promise, I'm not going anywhere. The only thing I want is for you to be in my arms." He kissed her neck and they fell asleep in each other's arms. Valerie and Nick finally felt at home.

Valerie woke up with a big smile on her face. She turned around to look at Nick, but he wasn't there. Maybe he went to the kids, she thought. She got up and went to the kids rooms. They were sleeping peacefully, so she went downstairs to the kitchen. He wasn't there either. Where is he? She ran up to Zack's room. He was sleeping like a baby.

"Zack! Zack!" Her voice was weak. She shook him harder.

"What- what happened?" He got up quickly.

"Did you see Nick?"

"What are you talking about, Val?" He ran his hand through his hair.

"He was here, remember. Where did he go?" She started looking around like a mad woman.

"Val, Nick is not here." He got up, about to comfort her.

"Where did he go?" Zack was about to answer but the doorbell rang. "Maybe that's him." She smiled and ran downstairs.