Chapter 1

Dreamer stood with the others in the clinic. Breeze, a female canine, was observing the scene next him.

"I can't believe this," the female growled. He looked at her. "She was out there all alone."

The thought of one of their kind far out of the country disturbed Dreamer.

"How do you think she survived all this time?" Breeze questioned.

He shook his head. "In a war-torn country too. The people there seem just as crazy as the protestors and hate groups outside our gates."

Every New Species knew of the threats that targeted them. The religious hate groups and angry protesters who despised their very existence. They were a "genetic disaster" and "demons from Hell" as their enemies would say. To think that his female was out miles out in Israel could have meant anything.

"Where do you think she came from?" Breeze asked. "Do you think she could have been sold there by Mercile?"

He growled. It was a mystery of who she was, and which facility she might have lived in, but Breeze had a point. She could have come from anywhere, and the bad news is that there might be more New Species world wide.

He glanced at the male nurse, Paul, a human who was busily attaching IVs to the female's arm. The other clinic staff were frantic to sustain the female canine who was just rolled in from overseas. She had been sedated on the flight to Southern California all the way from the Middle East.

"Someone tell me what the hell is going on here," Darkness growled. Dreamer's attention flickered towards him. It was a surprise to see him here. "Where are the humans who just brought her in?"

"They are with Justice and his mate, Jesse," he spoke up. "They are trying to get a story from the Marines."

The male threw him a short glance of acknowledgement. "How is she?"

"According to the report, her eyes were black when the humans found her. There were drugs in her system that triggered it," said Destiny, one of the other male nurses.

An unwelcomed growl rumbled in Dreamer's chest.

"Sounds like Mercile."

"I smell blood," Darkness said. "Was she injured?"

Both males turned towards the Destiny. The primate stood there syringes in hand.

"I don't smell any canine blood coming from her, but we'll need to take a blood sample to see if there are any other drugs in her system," he proceeded.

Dreamer took another look at her. She appeared to be a few inches taller than the female humans, about five foot six inches, but she was not as tall as the Species females. Her hair was a jet black, and her skin perfectly tanned from being outdoors. Her lips were feminine, and her facial structure was defined like that of a canines, strikingly beautiful.

He pondered a moment about her eyes. What would they be if she was not feral before she fell? It took him a few seconds to reevaluate himself before putting his attention elsewhere.

"Why are you here?" he asked Darkness.

A small silence disregarding the chatter of the clinical staff and the beeps of medical technology was in the air.

"I thought that I could be of help."

He furrowed a brow at the male. Darkness is NSO's interrogator--one of the best they had. Why was he not questioning the humans instead?

The feline caught a hold of his suspicion.

"I know what it's like to out there. When she wakes up I will ask her questions. Maybe she will trust me more," he said shortly. "You know how hard it is to stay calm in an unfamiliar setting. Especially with the females."