Chapter 3

Thank you all for your support. It means a lot to me. I hope you enjoy this chapter, and I will have another chapter for you soon. :)

(Kane)

Frannie picked up my empty plate and glass, gave me a soft smile, and carried them to the sink. She rinsed the dishes off and placed them in the dishwasher. Closing the door, she grabbed a dishtowel and dried her hands.

Pushing back my chair, I stood and moved toward her. I laid my hand on the small of her back. She jumped slightly and turned around. I frowned at her. "Frannie, what's wrong? You've hardly said a word to me. You seem distracted."

"I was thinking of Kevin." She fiddled with my tie. "He's one of the children that Evie visits at the children's hospital. Nicholas told me that Kevin has taken a turn for the worse, and he won't make it through the night." She released my tie. "I can't imagine what his parents must be going through. If something ever happened to Amy, I don't-"

"Don't," I muttered. "Don't think like that. Amy is healthy and happy." I grasped her chin gently and tipped her head back, gazing into her eyes. "What is happening to that little boy is a tragedy and should not be allowed to happen. If there-" The sound of footsteps had me glancing toward the doorway. Amy entered the kitchen. I smiled at her. "Hi, baby girl."

"Hi, Daddy." She looked at Frannie. "Can we go talk to Henry now?"

"What do you think, Daddy?" Frannie asked me, her eyes dancing.

"I think we're going to regret this," I whispered.

She chuckled, pressed her lips to my jaw, and held out her hand to Amy. "Come along, little one. Let's see if His Majesty has time to talk to us."

I followed Frannie and Amy to His Majesty's office. Once there, Amy knocked on the door and we entered when the king gave us permission. As usual, he was sitting at his desk. He turned to look at us and smiled at Amy.

"Hello, Ms. Amy," he said. "What can I do for you?"

I gave her a nudge. "Go ask him."

She crossed the office and stopped by his chair. He leaned toward her, giving her his undivided attention. "I want a puppy," she told him. "Mama and Daddy said I had to ask for your permission cause this is your home."

The king rested his hand on the back of her head. "This is your home. It will always be your home." He dropped his hand. "So you want a puppy. Puppies are a lot of responsibility. You have to feed and water them. Take them for a walk and give them a bath. Are you going to help do all those things?"

"Yeah," Amy answered, nodding vigorously.

He studied her for several seconds. "I'm going to say yes, but if your mama or daddy tells me you're not helping with the puppy it will be taken away from you. Do you promise you will help take care of the puppy?"

"Promise," Amy said.

"Give me your hand." She placed her hand in his and he shook it. "Now it's official."

"And now we will leave you to your work," Frannie stated. "Bath time, little one."

"Don't forget to wash behind your ears." His Majesty kissed her forehead. "Good night, Ms. Amy."