Prologue - Falling

Okay, I'm just gonna say that I do not own Avatar the Last Airbender or any of its characters, though it would be completely awesome if I did. I am a Last Airbender fanatic and have wanted to write a Zutara fanfic for a long time- I've imagined several different stories and versions, but haven't had the courage to write one of them yet because I've never done a fanfic before. But I've finally decided to just go with it and write it, since I can't get the idea out of my head. :D I hope you like it.

 I must also say for the sake of clarification that this story is INSPIRED BY Avatar the Last Airbender, not BASED ON. There's a huge difference, as you'll see. Thanks for reading! :D

TRAILER TO THE SIDE. CHECK IT OUT IF YOU LOVE ME. xD

 ___________ 

         I watch Aang carefully, biting my lip with worry. He's been in the Spirit World for a long time now--if he doesn't come back with news of the Ocean and Moon Spirits soon, Admiral Zhao's fleet will tear the Northern Water Tribe apart. I can't let this happen--we can't let this happen!

        I know that Aang is strong, but he's just a kid, really, and I'm worried that he'll get stuck in the Spirit World or--I don't know what else. I feel protective of him, though, and I hate just sitting here waiting while the Fire Nation attacks and Aang's body is helpless! I--

         I hear a snap behind me and leap to my feet, a wave already curling around my body protectively. The blood freezes in my veins as I realize who it is that stands behind me, a smirk stretching his pale face.

         “Zuko!”

        “Hello, Katara. You've found a teacher, I see. It's a pity--I hate to have to ruin your day, but the Avatar and I are leaving now.”

         “What, you're not man enough to--oops, I forgot. You're just a kid still, never mind.”

         “I am not a child!” Rage heats his amber eyes and fire crackles along his palms, coalescing into a ball of fire that he hurls at me. I absorb it with my wave and launch a bunch of icicles at him, but he melts them easily. Dawn is coming fast--I'm losing power as he gains it!

        I dive into the pond to avoid another blast, and lift the entire body of water, swirling it into a twisted snake around me. With a shout I shove it at him, and watch with satisfaction as his eyes widen. He can't form fire fast enough to deflect it, and my wave shoves him out of the little grotto and onto the icy ledge above it.

       I ride the waves to the top, where Zuko lays groaning. He jumps to his feet when he sees me, though, and gets into a fighting stance, fire licking around his hands. “You've gotten better--too bad it doesn't matter!”

         He lunges at me and I knock him back with a water bar--and then suddenly his eyes widen and he yells “behind you!”

         Acting purely out of instinct I raise a water shield around me--just in time. A fire blast hits me square in the back, dissipating my shield. I fly by Zuko and he tries to catch  me--I spare a thought to wonder why he's suddenly concerned about my welfare.

         Then I'm over the cliff edge, dangling over the stormy, icy cove, and Zuko is holding me up. His hand grips mine, and I hold onto him for dear life, staring up into his golden fire eyes with questions and confusion brimming in mine.

         His eyes are confused, as well--he doesn't know why he's helping me any more than I do. He grips me tighter. “Don't let go, Katara!”

         I nod, my face white. Then I see the firebender that attacked me behind him, raising a ball of fire. If Zuko doesn't move, he'll be killed.

         Because of me...

         I never imagined that the thought of the Fire Nation prince's death would twist my heart with sudden pain, but it does. Especially because if he dies now it'll be because for once in his life he's trying to do something good.

         For once in his life, he's not hurting someone, he's helping them. Helping me. I feel tears fill my eyes and I let them come, let them slide down my face and drip down, down, down into the deadly, rocky cove.

         If I fall, I won't survive.

         I know this like I know water, like I know my brother's face. “Zuko-”

         He shakes his head sharply--he knows that the firebender is there and what I plan to do. “No-”

         “There is good in you, Zuko.”

         I twist my fingers, washing both our hands with water. His grip falters and I let go, plummeting to the icy rocks below. Forgive me, Aang. I love you, Sokka!

         Then I am engulfed in cold, and everything goes black.

**__**

         Zuko watched in horror as the waterbender fell to the rocks below, her body crashing against an icy wave and disappearing forever. He had no time to think on it, though--he could feel the flame of the soldier's fireball coming towards him.

         With a shout of rage he rolled away from it, knocking the soldier down. Zuko leapt to his feet and called on his fury and the rising sun, bathing the cliff's edge in unholy light. His fireblast struck the soldier squarely despite the man's attempts to block it, and the soldier followed the girl off the edge.

         Zuko stared down into the cove for a long, long time. The waterbender--Katara, he reminded himself--had let go, had died, to protect him. He didn't understand--or maybe he did? Katara's last words seemed to echo in his mind, shaking him to the core, confusing everything he thought he knew about himself.

         There is good in you, Zuko.

         Good? What good? All he'd ever been good for was being the butt of Azula's jokes and his father's despair. He wasn't good--not unless being good for nothing counted. The memory of Katara's ocean blue eyes boring into him, understanding him, made him shiver uncontrollably, and without thinking, Zuko ran.

      He ran from the cliff and the grotto and the Northern Water Tribe. He ran from his Uncle and from Admiral Zhao and from the knowledge that the Avatar waited below, vulnerable and alone.

         He ran from what he had always believed to be his destiny and from everything that was expected of him. He ran from his pain and he ran from his fear that he was not worthy of Katara's sacrifice.

            But most of all, he ran from ocean blue eyes and gentle understanding and a soft wash of healing that threatened to undermine everything he'd worked so hard for all his life.