Prologue

Prologue

It gave me only a few seconds to realize until the blackness started seeping through my vision. Panic seeped into every single fiber of my body, a few more seconds and then I was totally unconscious, too numb to feel the sharp, unbearable pain that went shooting through my arm.

*******

I felt like I was tied down to something, unable to open my eyes despite of my continuous efforts to achieve any kind of movement. I felt like I had lost my senses. After few more tries I gave myself away to my drowsiness.

*******

Beep  .  Beep  .  Beep… I woke up to a very unfamiliar and annoying noise. I blinked my eyes open only to shut them back close at the speed of light, the surrounding was too bright for my eyes. I gave it a few moments then I opened them again and realized that I was in a hospital surrounded by white walls and my most favorite smell of the world… haha just kidding. As I glanced at my arms, I noticed that one of them was into a cast while the other was connected to the IV machine which was the source of the annoying noise.

I looked around and saw my brother sprawled on the hospital couch. His form was too large to fit on the small couch. Even in his sleep I could make out the worried and sad state. As I wondered about it's cause, quick flashes stumbled across my vision.

Talking to my mom and dad.

Bright light flashing.

A truck dashing in through the front of the car.

Our Frantic calls

Pain

Unconsciousness.

 A stream of tears flooded down my cheeks. “Nathan” I croaked out. I knew that the possibility of Mom and Dad being alright was very low. He was up and in no time was by my bedside.His hair was completely dishelved.

“How are they?” I was straight to the point as he would know what exactly I was talking about and who these ‘they’ are. He turned away, going to the table for getting me a glass of water as my voice had cracked when I spoke .

“We’ll talk about them later. You need to take some rest now.” He said looking straight into my eyes. Observing my stubborn face he gave out a long sigh and placed his palm on my cheek. He gave me a pleading look. It wasn’t until then that I noticed the bloodshot red eyes with dark rings under them indicating lack of sleep. Guess I should be leaving it for now.

“Okay. Can I at least know what is wrong with me right now? ”

As soon as the words stumbled out of my mouth, I heard a knock and soon enough an old looking man came into the room.He had kind eyes and looked very tired. I could make out that he would have been quite a charmer when he would have been young.

“Hello Kylie, my name is Dr. Hansen and I’ll be attending you. Currently you seem to be doing quite a lot better than in last few days. You have two broken and some bruised ribs that are almost healed and the crack in your ulna also seems to be fine. ”

He must have looked at my shocked expression because he quickly launched onto the explanation.

“I have given you strong painkillers that‘s the reason you’re feeling numb to the pain. Also you have been unconscious for the last eight days and you woke up yesterday late afternoon.”

Hmm... I've heard damaged ribs could be quite painful !

“Oh. That’s a lot to take in! Is that all?”

“That should be it .I’ll just have to ask you a few questions to check whether the minor brain bruising you’ve got has caused any impact on the memory or not.”

“Okay”

“Now, what is your full name?”

“Kylie Jane Walker”

“Age?”

“Fifteen”

He asked a few more basic questions to which I replied without hesitation. He started scribbling down on my reports. Giving the nurse a few more instructions, he left after informing me that I’ll have to stay here for three more days. Nathan followed after Dr. Hansen. I studied myself as I thought about my mom and dad. I was pretty much fine other than the negligible pain and a few scars due to the broken pieces of glass.

Nathan immersed back into the room after a few minutes with a tray of food containing a sandwich and soup which he gave it to me. I forced him to have some food. After much convincing he bought a sandwich for himself. We sat eating our food in silence. The hunger overcame the bad hospital food. After finishing our meal, he handed me a glass of water.

We sat quietly for sometime and I observed Nathan, he looked tensed, worried and in deep thought. As I was about to ask what was bothering him and what had happened to mom and dad; he spoke up.

“So, I want you to be relaxed before I break anything to you.” Knowing that it was not going to be good, I braced myself for the bitter truth which I knew would be coming soon. Nodding my head more to myself than to him, I looked at him; he had a composed look on his face which told me he was still not over it. He took a few more minutes before he convinced himself to speak again.

“Kylie, this is going to be difficult but we’ll pull through it together. Just remember I am always here for you-no matter what happens.Kylie, we no longer have our parents here with us! But don't worry everything will be fine, we'll learn to live through it. I will have everything under control. We'll be fine.”

I'm sure Nathan will be able to handle everything, I have no doubt about it. I am sure he is being all tough about it on the outside but on the inside he is broken as much as I am, probably even more. He was very close to Dad even more than I was - to dad as well as mom, he and dad were like the best of friends. And my heart breaks for him.

Quite sobs busted through me, Nathan wrapped his arms around my trembling form trying to comfort me, silent tears of sadness streamed down his face. Innumerable memories flooded through my mind - Mom’s smiling face flashed into my mind, Dad teaching Nathan his secret football moves, our family picnics, them grounding us, having breakfasts together…  Nathan tried to calm me down but then I started crying even more.

Nathan stood up and slipped his hand into the pocket. Fisted into his palms was mom’s broach. It was quite simple and beautiful. He placed it into my hands, without any words I understood that he wanted me to have this as mom’s keep sake. I saw him slip on a watch of my dad. He smiled sadly at the watch. Dad had bought it recently when he had got his promotion along with a pretty dress for mom, cell phone for me and a new version of some game for Nathan.

 We sat next to each other holding hands, lost in our memories, silently crying every now and then, mourning for our loss until we both were asleep far away from the world’s harsh reality.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's the first chapter, do share your opinions about it ,vote and fan!

Working on chapter 1 hopefully it'll be up soon!

 Thanks! :)