A Bit of Fun

England

1820

Pandora's emerald eyes admired her reflection in the gold framed mirror. Her red hair was pulled back into ringlets. She wore an empire dress of burgundy, trimmed in gold satin. Her unadorned neck only added to its' classic long lined beauty.

Pandora's mother entered the sitting room. "Pandora, you need to change your clothing."

"Why?"

"I have something grand to tell you." The plump, dark haired serving maid, Alice, came in with a duster. "Lord Royce is coming to our house."

"Good God," Alice said, dropping her duster.

Lady Freestone stared at her maid. "Alice, what is it?"

"Nothing, M'lady, it's just that," Alice suppressed a giggle.

Pandora studied the maid. "Mother, when is Lord Royce due here?"

"In about an hour."

"Then I will have to get ready for him." She turned to her maid. "Alice, will you follow me to my chamber and help me prepare for Lord Royce?"

"Pandora, what a pleasant surprise. Lord Royce will just be positively enchanted with you, as long as you don't spout any of your crazy ideas."

Pandora smiled mysteriously. She led the way to her chambers. "Alice, you must make me as lovely as possible," Pandora pronounced upon entering her sitting room.

"That shouldn't be too hard, Miss Pandora, you are very beautiful. You don't often see hair that shade of red. And your eyes, they sparkle like emeralds. "Alice sighed. "I only wish I had your porcelain skin."

Pandora sat in the gold chair in front of her ebony secretaire, as Alice brushed her long, titian hair.

"Alice, is pretty or beautiful the only thing a woman is supposed to be?"

"It does help a woman get a husband of wealth. If I only had your beauty, perhaps I wouldn't be your maid." Alice quickly put her hand to her mouth. "I'm sorry, Miss."

"It's alright, Alice. I didn't think you'd want to be an Abigail forever."

Alice was silent as she continued to brush Pandora's locks. "Alice, what do you know of Lord Royce?"

"What would the likes of me know about a Lord? He's the youngest son of the Duke."

"I saw that giggle, Alice. Don't be afraid to tell me." Alice still continued to brush her mistress's hair.

"Alice, do you ever dream of pirates?"

"Pirates, miss?"

"Yes, you know. A pirate who'll kidnap you and make mad, passionate love to you." Alice lowered her eyes. "I do. I dream of him ripping my clothes off and ...."

"Miss, I don't mean to be impertinent, but I shouldn't be hearing these things."

"Alice, it's alright. You've been my maid for 7 years now. You're two years younger than me. Don't you think of marriage?"

"Of course, Miss, but not with a pirate. I figure a stable boy would be more like it."

"What about a Lord?"

"A Lord? Oh no Miss, unless the Lord is...."

"Is who?"

"I was going to say Lord Royce."

"I knew it. Tell me everything you know, Alice. I demand it."

"I've heard that Lord Royce doesn't like ladies."

"What?"

"I don't mean he's peculiar in any way, quite the opposite. It's just that he prefers females of a lower rank."

"Do you mean serving girls, or maids? Alice, you do know something. "

"I have a friend who served as a maid in his house. He was very fond of her, in a way, if you know what I mean."

"And what happened?"

"His father, the Duke ,was very distressed. He told Lord Royce to find a suitable wife of proper breeding, or he'd disinherit him."

"So he's shopping around for a wife of proper breeding. One who'll tend to the house, and raise his children."

"I suppose so."

"So mother is inviting him here, to take a look at me. Like a piece of cattle."

"Miss, if you don't mind me saying so, four and twenty is getting late for marriage .Your mother is doing you a favor."

"I have other interests, other plans, but...." Pandora stroked her long, red hair. "Lord Royce sounds intriguing. I think I will do as mother asks."

"That's right, Miss. You have to think of your future."

"Alice, fetch me the laciest, frilliest dress you can get. I think I'll have some fun with Lord Royce."

Alice's face creased a bit, but she did as her mistress asked.