Call Me Lord Tristan

Chapter 2

Alice came back with a few dresses. She held each one up, until Pandora's eyes beheld a white dress. "That's it," she exclaimed.

"I'll help you dress, Miss."

Alice helped Pandora into an empire dress of the purest white, ethereal and flowing, trimmed in delicate lace eyelet. "How do I look, Alice?"

"Like an angel, Miss. Lord Royce will be sure to fall in love with you. If you don't mind me suggesting it, I think you need some jewelry." Alice placed a simple strand of coral pearls around Pandora's neck.

"Do I look like a proper young lady should?"

"Oh yes, Miss. "

"Good. I think we are ready to descend."

Alice followed behind as Pandora stepped into the sitting room. "Pandora," Lady Freestone enthused. "You look so perfect."
"You mean I look so submissive, isn't that what you mean, Mother?"

"Nonsense. You look like a proper young lady who is in need of a husband should look. Alice, you may go." After the maid left, Lady looked sternly at her daughter. "Now, Pandora, promise me you'll be on your best behavior. You are four and twenty and unmarried. People are starting to talk. You have to get serious about your future."

"I am serious about my future, mother. I should like to continue on with my pursuits."

"Developing hybrid roses." Lady Freestone said this in an utter tone of disgust. "How is that going to get you a husband?"

"Perhaps my husband will love flowers."

"Then he can buy them at the floral shop. You know precisely what I mean, Pandora. And don't be spouting any of your crazy ideas. I don't know where I got a daughter like you. We're going to play up your domestic skills."

The dispute between mother and daughter was interrupted by a knock on the wood paneled door. "Come in," Lady Freestone chimed sweetly.

The butler announced. "Lord Royce has arrived." He stepped aside and Pandora saw a tall, broad shouldered man enter the room. He bowed in greeting, and when he rose, Pandora saw burning, ebony eyes assessing her. He took the hand of his hostess. "Charmed, Lady Freestone."

"As am I lord Royce." He turned slightly to catch sight of Pandora. "And this is my daughter, Pandora."

Lord Royce appraised Pandora's figure as he lifted her hand to his lips. "Very charmed," his deep voice pronounced. Pandora beheld his jet eyes discovering her ample breasts. She pulled her hand away quickly as a slight smile flickered on Lord Royce's lips. Lord Royce gazed down at Pandora through thick black eyelashes.

Pandora's eyes were drawn to his chiseled cheekbones and the masculine set of his jaw. "Pleased to meet you, Lord Royce," she said, as she backed away from him.

"It would please me if you and your mother called me Tristan." He paused, and added, "Lord Tristan, that is."

Pandora bent her neck, her eyes cast downward. "As you wish, Lord Tristan", she said demurely.

Carrington entered with the tea cart. "Carrington, I think we can manage by ourselves." He bowed and left the room. "Pandora, I think it would be nice if you served the Lord."

"Mother, why? It's Carrington's job to serve."

Lady Freestone nudged her daughter with her eyes. "It's a way of showing Lord Tristan our hospitality."