Even though the sun had set the sand beneath them was only beginning to cool, and the heat could still be felt rising from it. To alleviate the discomfort Eada began to make conversation, looking toward the captain. "I don't believe you ever introduced yourself to us," she said.

"Excuse me." He bowed stiffly. "My name is Jressik, Vasdin to King Spyre, which is the general of the army."

Eada nodded. So he wasn't just a captain after all. "Is that the highest ranking in the Vasdan army?" she questioned. She had probably learned about it when she and Saila had studied the history of each country before ruling their own, but she was too tired to try to remember. She wanted to create conversation as well and keep things from becoming very awkward.

"Of course," Jressik answered, giving her a look that clearly called her stupid for asking such a question. "In Vasda it is different than your Tria. The general appoints all those below him and the king appoints him. Each has absolute authority over the other, disobedience of orders is punishable by death." It sounded like he was reciting a well known fact he didn't think he should have to say.

The empress only continued to nod her head. All of her will power was concentrated on keeping her calm. It was a difficult task since her blood was already warm from the sun, but she kept her temper and held her tongue. The tent fell silent again, no one dared to say a word, and no breeze dared to blow inside.

That silence was only broken by a shuffle of feet outside and the entrance of two women carrying a low table between them. Their faces were veiled and their heads were bowed. After a moment Eada recognized the one as Vye. The other was her other waiting woman, she hadn't learned her name yet.

They set the table before the empress and then backed away to either side of the tent. Eada took the next few minutes to study the woman. She was also very young with the same short, pale hair and dark skin. She had removed the gauze from her shoulders; small sleeves held her shirt in place which ended much before her stomach did. The empress had to look away to compose herself. So much skin showing on such a grown woman. One more glance revealed that she was wearing the same kind of low-cut, baggy breeches and sandals as Vye.

When the silence was again too much to bear, Eada turned to her with the nicest smile she could muster. "What is your name?"

"Kurah, my empress," she replied with a deep curtsy.

Eada was thankful when the tent flap was pushed aside again and saved her from having to make more conversation. Giha's wife entered with a large platter of meat. The empress blinked in surprise as it was set on the table in front of her. Other women of various ages followed her example, setting plates of food down all at once; things she recognized and things she didn't. When the food had been laid out all but the oldest and youngest filed out of the tent. The young girl was holding three goblets and Giha's wife held a clear bottle of a thick, reddish liquid. She poured it, the glasses were set before the Trians, and with a few quiet words to the general, they left the tent.

A moment later Jressik nodded to her. "Empress. I will leave you to your dinner now. Soldiers will be posted outside of your door." As soon as the words had left his mouth he disappeared out of the tent.

Eada looked from Leis to Bryli. Both had been silent and unmoving so far. Now they looked back at her, looking to her for what to do next.

"Well, I suppose, now we eat," the empress said, keeping her voice low.

She turned back to the table. It was covered with bowls and plates of all sizes and filled with all varieties of food. On the largest was a leg of meat. The look of it was less than appetizing to Eada who was used to little meat in her meals and that little well disguised with vegetables and spices. This appeared to have been thrown into a pot of water, boiled, and then served. Her stomach lurched at the thought of it, and her eyes scanned the table for something she could recognize. A bowl of olives and flat bread reassured her; it wasn't all horrifying to think of eating.