Chapter 1 - Daniella Roberts

Dear Diary,

My name is Daniella and I have no family. I live at Mrs Faux's Home for Orphaned Children in Tulsa, Oklahoma. My room is number 364, West Campus. I am 16 and my dream is to escape. My only possession from my Parents is a golden charm bracelet with a wolf and a heart on it.

"Daniella get up! You'll be late for School!"

I could hear Mrs Faux's voice ringing around my room, even through my large, mahogany door, which she was currently hammering on with her fist.

"Whatever!" I called.

I slammed my new diary shut and tucked it into my rucksack, along with my pen. I sighed and slipped on my shoes. I hated School! I mean, really really HATED School. It wasn't the lessons, but the kids and even some of the teachers! As you may have picked up on, I have no friends. None. Why would I? I'm a British Orphan in Tulsa with a bad attitude. Not my fault at all. If you want to survive in this Orphanage, you gotta be tough!

------------------------------------------------------------

After I got dressed in my skinny jeans that show off my tall, tanned and slender legs, a pale blue tank top and a pair of black ankle boots, I left to Sir Henry's Institute for Troublemakers. What a stupid name. Not only does it sound stupid, but to anyone with any sense, it spells SHIT. I don't want to go to a school called Shit! But Mrs Faux's Home for Orphaned Children only sends kids there! Oh well, what's done is done, but the minute I can I'm gonna leave the hellhole of a school and go to University! I love learning, weirdly. I grabbed a panini from the local bakery ( I NEVER eat Mrs Faux's food, yuck!) and started off to school when this emo guy stepped in my way! Well, to be honest he wasn't wearing all dark makeup or anything, he was just wearing a lot of black and he had a weird pattern tattooed on his forehead. It was sapphire blue and, actually, was quite cool! It looked a bit like a mask with a crescent moon in the middle of his head. He was just strolling down the road, so I just shrugged and set off to school.

Dear Diary,

We have a new algebra teacher. Her name is Mrs Whore! Funnier still, she's pregnant! Or at least I think she is; she's definitely fat enough to be! Well, I guess I'm lucky, I haven't had a single detention yet! Woohoo!! At lunch, I'm gonna get pizza and I don't care how much my gymnastics teacher moans, I'm more skilled and flexible then any one of them! There is only one thing wrong with today, I have a horrid cough! I don't know how, I just-

Whoosh! My diary got ripped from under my head and Mrs Whore had it in her hand.

"Daniella Roberts! Well, let's just let the class know how well you have done on your work for the day." and she started reading it out loud.

I smirked. She read the first few pages of my entry for the day ( where I happened to make some rude comments about her!) then she threw it to the ground.

"Mrs Roberts, you-how dare-DETENTION FOR A WEEK!" Oh well, it was bound to happen sometime.

I shrugged and got sent out the classroom where I waited for the lunch bell. When it finally rang, I ran down the corridors and out of the school. FREEDOM! Once I was a few streets away, I looked around for the best place to get pizza, but all I could see was Charlie's Chicken. Who doesn't like Charlie's? I set off for the doors, but the emo tattoo kid from earlier stepped in front of me, this time with a purpose.

"What the hell!" I yelled as I steadied myself from running into him; he was a lot taller up close!

He raised his hand, which was also tattooed with the weird sapphire patterns and spoke in a surprisingly gentle and kind voice.

"Daniella Roberts! Night has chosen thee; thy death will be thy birth. Night calls to thee; hearken to her sweet voice. Your destiny awaits you at the House of Night!"

He pointed to my forehead and it felt like my head had split open, but I wouldn't know, as, just then, I passed out.

--------------------------------------------------------

I awoke with one of my classmates (not really MATES but still) kneeling beside me, calling my name and dabbing my now sweaty head, with a crowd. How embarrassing!!!

"Daniella! Are you ok?" It was Helena, the shy girl of the class.

"I'm fine, it was just the heat." but Helena held me down with a surprisingly strong hand.

"No, I'd better get you to the Nurse." then she turned and shooed the crowd away, whilst keeping her hand clamped on the damp cloth on my forehead.

Once the crowd had dispersed, she let me up but kept the cloth on my head! She led me away, but not towards the Nurse, to the School toilets. She pulled me to the cracked mirror and then she finally took the cloth off my head. Wow! That was not there this morning!

----------------------------------------------------------

Dear Diary,

Sorry about earlier, Mrs Whore took you off of me and started reading it to the class! Well that came back to bite her on the bum!! And I got Mr Gresseld to say do do!! I told him that he has to start jogging as his beer belly is catching up to him and he said "I do do jogging!" Ha! Oh, one more thing I nearly forgot... Oh what was it... Oh yeah! I'M A FRICKEN' VAMPYRE!! The tracker dude came up to me during lunch! Well, at least I will get out of doing the detentions and get out of SHIT!! Got to go and pack, bye!

I shut my diary and put it in my ruck sac. Yes, I am an Orphan with not many possessions. When Mrs Faux saw the sapphire crescent moon outline, she freaked and started yelling about The Devil and evil and told me to leave her home so I didn't complain! She is a devoted Christian like many other Orphans but I'm not. I don't mean to be offensive, as I see nothing wrong with religion, I'm just not religious. After everything was packed (and my coughing fit was over!) I left to try and find the House of Night, whilst my headache got worse. Man, I want to sleep!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The picture at the start is of good old Danny!