Chapter 1

The school is just a block away. I pulled the hoodie over my face as it poured down heavily and kept my bag around my shoulder to pick up the pace.

Some kids ran by without me noticing, knocking the suitcase out of my hand and clothes slipped out.

"Come on!" I yelled, picking up the now soggy clothes back into the suitcase.

"Here let me help." I heard a voice next to me as he immediately started picking the clothes up.

"I-I've got it." I stuttered out. I don't like people, especially when they try to help.

"I know you do, and so do I." He handed me one of my sweaters as I finally looked up at him.

He stood under an umbrella, yet some parts of his clothes were wet from him bending down. His hair was messy and dirty blonde and his eyes were a blue you could see miles away. He wore a dress shirt that was rolled up to his elbows and dress pants. He was somewhat strong... Not buff, but stronger than me. He gave a sweet smile as I raised my hand to take the sweater.

"Thanks..." I say, not looking away.

"Names Moran. Sebastian Moran." he told me, standing up and sharing the umbrella. "And you are?"

"Jim... Jim Moriarty." I answered, standing up and pulling the bag over my shoulder again as we walked.

"Nice name. So where ya headin'?"

"Baskerville Performing Arts College."

"I am too. Auditioning for theatre arts in the morning." He stuck one hand in his pocket, glancing at me every so often.

"Yeah I am too... You been here before?"

"Nope. First year. Even though I'm a year older than most of the first years. Couldn't get in last year."

"How come?"

He looked over at me, eyebrow arched but the smile remained.

"You're the curious type, aren't you?"

I looked down, playing with the ends of my shirt. "Sorry..."

"Nah it's alright. Military school. Dad signed me up right before I turned eighteen. I was lucky to get out in time to make it this year... Doesn't get me out of the Marines but at least I'm free for a while."

I nodded and silence fell on the both of us. This isn't normally me. I'd shrug off whoever said a single word to me but here I am, having a conversation with someone I met not even five minutes ago.

"How about you?" he asked.

"Hm?"

"How'd you get here? What's the story before this?"

"You're the curious type too, I see." I smirked. He chuckled in response with an additional shrug.

"You can know that once I properly get to know you."

"Fair deal."

We approached the school and both of us walked in; cold chills hitting my spine from the autumn rain entering into a nice warm lobby.

It was bloody huge. The lights dimmed a bright orange, a massive staircase at the other end of the room leading up to the dorms, hallways with rooms of different types of classes and actors, singers, musicians and more paced around them.

I was practically gawking. I've been so huddled into small houses that I'd never imagine anything to be this big.

Both of us looked over to a room where everyone was walking into. A greetings sign on the front.