20. The Helpfulness of Enemies

Start from the beginning

There was a moment of hesitation—then, slowly, the assembled crowd rose to its feet, one after the other. The panic lifted from their faces. Fear was still there, but it was contained, and surpassed by resolute expressions.

Do they really trust me that much? Oh God...

"But we have to get you to safety," she continued, trying her best to keep her own panic under control, when all she wanted to do was run into a quiet corner and hide. Well, in essence that was what she was doing: trying to hide. She was just trying to find the right place to hide, and take everyone with her. But somehow, that didn't stop her heart from trying to jump out of her chest. "One of those rocks could crash down on us at any moment. We have to find you and your children a safe place to weather the attack."

"What about the men, Milady?" A young woman at the front asked, throwing a fearful glance over her shoulder—no doubt to where her young man was stationed up on the wall. Ayla's hands trembled. She understood the woman's fear all too well. Whatever danger that young man might be facing, it was nothing to what Reuben was about to throw himself into.

"They have to stay on the wall." Her voice was low, but firm. "I'm sorry; I know the risk is great that one of those rocks might kill half a dozen of them in an instant—but the risk that this is all just a ruse to get us to draw our men back from the walls is even greater. If the enemy climbs over empty walls while we're cowering in the dark, we will all be doomed no matter how safe from bombardment we thought to be."

Another rock hurtling over their heads, another earth-shattering thud. Ayla felt her heart beat even faster. The impacts were getting closer and closer. The enemy was slowly adjusting their aim. Sooner or later, one of the stones would hit the castle wall. What would happen then she didn't want to imagine.

"Get behind the keep, all of you!" she called out, pointing to the side, where the path around the keep led to the orchard at the back. "You'll have at least some cover there, until we can figure out the best place to hide in. Burchard? Don't skulk! I can see your mustache from over here! Send some people up to the tower chamber to carry my father down, and then get over here! I need you!"

*~*~**~*~*

The enemy palisades appeared in front of them like the teeth of some diabolical beast, ready to swallow them whole. Reuben smiled. Well, he intended to give the diabolical beast one hell of a stomach ache.

"How are we going to get over to the other side?" Theoderich whispered from behind. "They're so high!"

"That's normal for palisades, wouldn't you say, goldilocks?"

"Um... yes, Sir. I suppose you never really realize it until you are up close."

"You might not." Reuben reached under his surcoat and began untying knots. A few moments later, he was pulling out the rope which he had brought with him, tied as a second belt around his waist. "I, however, did."

"Yes, Milord. Of course, Milord."

"Now listen carefully." Reuben's fingers started to move in a blur, tying knots into the rope at regular intervals, and turning its end into a sling. "I haven't been able to find out whether or not this palisade has a walkway. We might be climbing up, only to face a troop of enemy soldiers. Or, if we're really lucky, I might just end up throwing this sling over an enemy's head instead of a sharpened pole. If anything like this happens, if we get attacked, I want you to run off, away from the camp. I'll be staying. Understood?"

"Staying?" The squire looked deeply touched. "You would do that? You would sacrifice yourself to provide me with an escape?"

"No, of course not! You'll run so enough of them will chase after you for me to hack through the rest and get to the trebuchet. You're expendable. If need be, you must sacrifice yourself as a diversion. Then I can get to the siege weapon and destroy it, and all will be fine."