Hard memories

Canes POV

I was drowning I pushed the darkness but it stabbed me shoving me down harder. I had to get to jeba. I continued to claw at the water that covered me thickly.

I saw a dim light. And I ran towards it I ran until I fell out if exhaustion. Arms began to grab me as they pulled me into a room where echoes of people bounced if the wall.

"Cane?" Came a silent voice. I whipped my face around diving further into the darkness In desperate search for the voice.

"Yes mom?" A child cooed.

The scene suddenly came into my vision. I was sitting on a tiny couch watching some unknown tv. show. A tiny girl sitting next to me playing dolls.

I knew this place. Right? A million tiny bells began to go off in my head.

Home. I dove deeper into the dream as I skipped ahead a little. "Cane take Frule go!" My mother screamed. I stared into her almost yellow eyes.

"Don't worry." My younger self said firmly pulling Frule closer to his side. "I'll look after her." My mother had a tear falling down her cheek.

"Mommy? I'm scared." Frule said flipping her curly red hair out of her green eyes.

I smiled over at her. "Don't worry Sherly Templeton." I dared letting my almost black hair into my baby blue eyes. I remember this. 'I was seven my little sister four.' Came a distinct voice in my head. I brushed it away.

A strong pound came on the door.

"Go" My mother shooed us away. Touching the small of our backs. Suddenly I wasn't myself but I was watching from the trees.

I stared at myself as I ran to the cellar staring around scanning every inch of the little back yard we had. It was littered with toys. I still remember the feel of the rusty handle in my palm. The empty moan of the open door. And how I looked at the sun the last time as a free person.

I was absorbed back into the darkness. Almost awake. I saw the light agin. But this time I walked towards it slowly daring it to run away. But it stayed. I reached the light blinded by its beauty.

I reached out to touch it. I was swallowed into the sun.

I awoke in a sitting position. "Jeba?" I whispered frantically searching around.

"Hey calm down." She laughed. I looked across the small doctors room. Jeba stood up walking towards me. She took my hand into hers.

"What did you dream about?" She asked smiling a little. "You screamed a few times." She said shrugging. Truth or lie?

"We'll uhh I dreamed about you." I lied. She smiled.

"Awww that's so sweet." She said squeezing my hand jokingly.

"So umm you hungry?" Oh was taken aback by her words. They brought me back to the forest. "Oh my god are you ok? You look pale!" She said urgently.

"No I'm fine." I said trying to move my arms into a more comfortable position. My arms felt thick and bulky. I looked down staring at the cast that was plastered onto my arm. I wiggled my other limbs. Yep all casts. I groaned.

"Okay. So you hungry?" I stared back at her. Or rather stared at we face. She had dark circles under her eyes. They sunk into her freckles. I stared in shock but quickly changed my expression quickly.

"Jeba, come home with me." I said leaning in. I groaned at how much effort it took to move my head off the pillow. I tilted my head.

She put her hand on my check brushing her thumb from my nose to my ears.

I was almost there when my mouth acted on its own. "Jeba when I first saw you I loved you. And when you said you wanted to be just friends it broke my heart. But now..." I sighed leaning my forehead against hers.

The door busted open making me jump. I groaned at the effort it caused me tone scared.

"Jeb- oh Cane your awake. Figured you would be by the time I got back with your food." He said lifting a blue try in his hands a little higher. I was unshifted by this. Me and Jeba did not dare move.

Jeba giggled then released. "Heru!" She whined twirling her hair. "Geez ver heard of knocking? No didn't think so." She giggled again releasing her hair and stealing away the tray.

"The way you use that cute little face against me." He chuckled at his own little joke.

"Now shoo!" She demanded. This side of her is scary. But hey I still love her.

"Thanks." I said nodding at Heru. He winked at us then slammed the door behind him.