Chapter Nine

Monica takes a step towards Harry, her eyes glazed over.

Those eyes... not her trusting eyes.

"Stop it." Harry snaps hastily. His cold eyes return to Nora but she's no longer smiling, but snarling. Fear crosses his eyes as she turns back to Monica. "Monica, listen to me. Snap out of it, she's controlling you." He desperately tries.

"Don't listen to him, Monica. He wants to hurt you. It's what he has wanted from the beginning." Harry grits his teeth.

She's stronger, even in her weakened state. I only recently became a full-fledged vampire somewhat recently, still need to learn these abilities.

"Why are you doing this?" He demands.

Nora smiles a sick, twisted grin. "If I can't have you... well, I sure as hell won't allow this mortal to have you."

"You made it very clear that you didn't want to see me again."

"You love her more than you ever loved me! She's just a- just a silly human!" Nora cries. She appears hurt. Harry steals a glance at Monica, who hasn't moved an inch. "Monica," Nora begins with a sniffle, "finish him."

With that, Monica falls into a combat stance. Horror flashes in Harry's eyes.

She will get injured even more than she already is.

"Monica, I don't want to fight you." He slowly puts his hands up, taking a few steps back to distance the two.

But then Monica leaps into action, her first blow to his side, right under the ribs. Harry stumbles back in surprise. She was faster and more powerful than he expected. He gauges her next punch more quickly, dodging out of the way. The next one, though, he blocks her blow. He can hear her fingers cracking as he does so. He winces.

I'm so sorry, Monica.

"This is so boring." Nora groans, leaning against the building. "Monica, pick up the pace." She does just that.

Using both feet and fists to beat and batter Harry faster than he can block her, even with his vampire speed.

It's like she has the speed of a full-fledged vampire.

"Monica," he chokes between punches, "please focus on my voice. Nora has you under her control." She doesn't show any recognition as she continues her assault. He just allows her to beat him while he cowers, trying to block her punches the best he can without hurting her any further.

Nora groans loudly. "Fine, if you refuse to defend yourself..." Nora's voice rises in frustration. "I'll kill the girl if that's what it takes."

Horror flashes in Harry's eyes while he accepts the blows from Monica. Nora smirks, having Harry in exactly the position she wants.

"Monica..." She immediately stops her attack, straightening herself. Harry is left breathing heavily in the sudden silence. "Jump off that railing."

"No!" Harry shouts hurriedly. "Monica, please!" He begs, grabbing ahold of her wrist that isn't broken. She doesn't react but turns around to face the railing, dragging Harry with her. "Nora, stop this right now!" He suddenly snaps at her. Desperate, angry, terrified.

Nora appears to give it some thought. "No."

"I'll do anything!" He begs. "Just please let her go."

Nora's face darkens. "It's much too late for that, Harry."

Monica wrenches her arm free of Harry's grasp and carefully hoists herself up to the railing.