3. Blackjack

Anne drank the cold water slowly before setting the glass down on the marble table. She was nervous, edgy, apprehensive, and worried. Any of those words could fit the bill, but it was for all kinds of different reasons. At the moment, it was this meeting she was conducting. Speaking in front of people had always made her heart skip a beat. Yet from years of practice, she was able to attain a cool demeanor. Vice had said once, it was one of the reasons why he loved her. She was cool-headed under extreme pressure.

Her eyes shifted to the overhead screen. "So, as you can see ladies and gentlemen; from years of hard work and the occasional struggles, our company has finally been rewarded with good fortune. Our revenue is up, costs have dropped, and our stock has never been better. If we continue to do our jobs successfully, we will maintain this balance for the next decade." Anne smiled brightly when she saw the content looks of each member of the board. She glanced at her watch. "Ladies and gentlemen, this meeting is adjourned. I'll see you all bright and early tomorrow morning."

When the final person left her office, Anne let out the breath she did not realize she had been holding. Her stressful day was finally over. But still, there was some extra paper work that needed to be done. Sighing, she sank in her chair, preparing herself for a long night. There was a knock at her door before the secretary entered.

"Miss Curtis," The woman said. "there's a call for you on line one."

"Thank you, Coleen. You don't need to stay. I'll lock up office. Good night."

"Alright, miss. I'll see you tomorrow, goodnight."

The door closed and Anne picked up the phone, pressed it to her ear, and pushed the small button marked 'one.' "Hello, it's Anne."

"Hey, Anne; you're still there?" Vice asked from the other end. "I thought you would have left after your meeting."

"The meeting took longer than I thought, but it went very well. I just want to get some work done before I leave."

"You work too much, and so does Billy."

"And you work too little."

Anne could almost feel Vice's grin. "I work, I just get mine done more quickly. Speaking of Billy, I think he's there."

"That's good, I needed to speak with him anyway. So what about you? It's Friday and the night's young."

"I don't know. They're so many things to do. Give me your suggestion." Vice responded.

"What about a casino? That's where I'd be if I wasn't working."

"A casino. I'll do that. Try and win myself some money. Wish me luck?"

Anne smiled. "Okay babe. Good luck. See you later." Hanging up the phone, she stood up from her chair and left her office making her way to Billy's office. It amazed and bothered her how the whole building look completely different at night. It was deserted, dark, shadowed, and quiet. A shiver ran down her spine, but she shook her head; chiding herself gently.

Anne passed by the secretary's desk before stopping in front of two wooden doors. She knocked softly and entered. Either Billy had not noticed her or he did not care to because he hadn't taken his eyes off his work. It wasn't until she was right behind him did he look up. He frowned deeply.

She winced. "You're still angry with me?" Her tone was quiet. "I'm sorry, Billy."

"Why?" He inquired. "Karylle is-"

"Just be careful, that's all I'm asking of you." Anne touched his shoulder. "I've seen women like her before."

"And how would you know? From experience?"