Prologue

He leaned against the Oak tree with his arms crossed against his chest as he scanned the sight before him. The parking lot was filled with cars, but everyone had already gone inside the school. He looked at his watch and saw that it was thirty minutes after the school bell had rung. He was late, but then again, he didn’t really care. Being late was his specialty.

“Look at that car. I haven’t seen that car here before yet,” said Nate, his closest friend, interrupting his thoughts.

He faced the direction Nate was facing and saw a dark blue BMW stopping in front of the school’s entrance. It was one of the newer models, so he knew that only a few people owned one.

“Yeah, must be a new student.” He passively replied as he continued to stare at the car. He saw a brunette stepping out of the car and rushing in through the school doors; almost tripping as she let the doors close behind her. The side of his lips titled up a bit. He didn’t really see her up close, but he knew there was something special about her.

“Who is she? Is she new?” He asked; his eyes still glued to the door she went in through. He’d never seen her here before.

“I don’t think so, I’ve seen her before. She’s in our grade, but she’s one of those quiet girls, so I don’t think she’s your type.” Nate replied with a smirk.

“Who said she’s my type?” He replied defensively as he raised his eyebrows.

“I dunno, based on experience, you like hanging out with any girl as long as they look like a girl.” Nate said, humor clear in his voice.

He rolled his eyes, but he knew Nate was right. There wasn’t a girl that he didn’t seem to want to hang out with, though he didn’t really stick with them for a long time. “It’s just that I thought I knew every girl in school. This one seems different. I wouldn’t have passed up the chance to grab her.”

“I know what you mean, but she’s kind of hard to get. I heard she’s never had a boyfriend before. It doesn’t seem like she’s interested in anybody at school.” Nate said like he was challenging him.

“Well, gossip queen,” He replied with a hint of sarcasm. “We all know that I always get what I want. And I want her.”

“It’s gonna be tough, man. I’ll give you 10 bucks if you manage to make her your girlfriend.” Nate offered as he extended his hand to seal the deal.

“Ah, isn’t that a bit too cliché? Keep your money. Just treat me to pizza afterwards.”

“And after you’re done with her?” Nate asked with an amused expression on his face.

“You can have her by then. Deal?”

“Deal.”