"You're going to have to give us minute, Jamie," Mrs. Jacobs said, her hand still on my dad's arm. Her touch, it seemed, was the only thing keeping him in his seat. I wished we'd unloaded this on them separately. I knew they were friends and had some kind of history, but this was so deeply personal.

As if knowing my dad was beyond reason, Jamie shifted his focus to his mom.

"Mom, I know this is a lot to dump on you and I'm sorry. You told me a million times when you met dad at fifteen, you knew he was the one. And I know." Jamie paused and looked briefly at me. "Erin knows. I admit we should have been more careful, but that doesn't change how we feel about each other. I'm going to take care of her. I'm going to take care of both of them."

While Jamie's speech made my heart swell and it seemed to mollify Mrs. Jacobs, my dad appeared unmoved. He looked downright murderous.

"Dad," I said, finding my voice. "I know you're disappointed, and it's not like we planned for this to happen but it did."

"Does your mother know about this?" he asked his voice clipped.

"Yes. And she's being really great about it." I hadn't meant for it to come out sounding like an insult to him, but his belligerence wouldn't somehow make me not pregnant.

"Jamie, can I have a word with you outside," he said. It wasn't a question. It was a command.

"Dad..." I started to protest but Jamie was already on his feet.

Before following Jamie outside, my dad knelt in front of me and took one of my hands in his. "You know I love you."

"Yes." My lip trembled. I hadn't realized how much I needed to hear him say that right now.

"I'm not happy about this, but I love you."

"I know. I'm sorry." A carefully guarded tear escaped and I wiped it away. My dad kissed my forehead, and then I watched the two most important men in my life walk out onto the patio through the sliding glass doors.

Which left me alone with Mrs. Jacobs and if she'd disliked me before, I was certain she hated me now. But if Jamie could face my dad like an adult, I could do the same with his mom.

"Mrs. Jacobs, you have to know I never meant for this to happen."

She regarded me for a few uncomfortable seconds and I imagined she was seeing a somewhat scared girl, too young to be contemplating a baby and marriage. I swallowed, determined to hold together under her scrutiny. I wanted her to see me as a worthy match for her son.

"You know, babies are a rare occurrence for us, as if nature is working against us." She fingered the pearl she wore on her necklace, a far away look in her eyes. "Jamie's father and I were lucky. We tried to have more, but it never happened. He would have liked a daughter. I know I would have. Jamie's right. His father and I were married by eighteen. It's the way it works in our culture. Marry young, have babies young. So in a way, I'm not surprised."

"I love Jamie," I said. "I know my dad doesn't think I know what I'm talking about, but I do."

"I love Jamie too. When Marshall calms down, he'll remember he does as well. But you're his heart, Erin, and he wants the best life for you."

I wiped at another tear. Her acceptance, her understanding, was so far from the blame I'd expected.

We both looked up at the sound of my dad's raised voice. He and Jamie were clearly visible through the glass and I'd been trying not to strain to hear them. My dad was all up in Jamie's face. Jamie stood a head taller, his stance stoic, taking the abuse because undoubtedly he felt he deserved it. And then it was impossible not to listen my dad was yelling so loud.