Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

"No!" 
Pettigrew had fallen to his knees as though Harry's nod had been his own death sentence. He shuffled forward on his knees, grovelling, his hands clasped in front of him as though praying. 
"Sirius -- it's me...it's Peter...your friend...you wouldn't --" 
Black kicked out and Pettigrew recoiled. 
"There's enough filth on my robes without you touching them," said Black. 
"Remus!" Pettigrew squeaked, turning to Lupin instead, writhing imploringly in front of him. "You don't believe this -- wouldn't Sirius have told you they'd changed the plan?" 
"Not if he thought I was the spy, Peter," said Lupin. "I assume that's why you didn't tell me, Sirius?" he said casually over Pettigrew's head. 
"Forgive me, Remus," said Black. 
"Not at all, Padfoot, old friend," said Lupin, who was now rolling up his sleeves. "And will you, in turn, forgive me for believing you were the spy?" 
"Of course," said Black, and the ghost of a grin flitted across his gaunt face. He, too, began rolling up his sleeves. "Shall we kill him together?" 
"Yes, I think so," said Lupin grimly. 
"You wouldn't...you won't..." gasped Pettigrew. And he scrambled around to Ron. 
"Ron...haven't I been a good friend...a good pet? You won't let them kill me, Ron, will you...you're on my side, aren't you?" 
But Ron was staring at Pettigrew with the utmost revulsion. 
"I let you sleep in my bed!" he said. 
"Kind boy...kind master..." Pettigrew crawled toward Ron "You won't let them do it...I was your rat...I was a good pet...." 
"If you made a better rat than a human, it's not much to boast about, Peter," said Black harshly. Ron, going still paler with pain, wrenched his broken leg out of Pettigrew's reach. Pettigrew turned on his knees, staggered forward, and seized the hem of Hermione's robes. 
"Sweet girl...clever girl...you -- you won't let them...Help me...." 
Hermione pulled her robes out of Pettigrew's clutching hands and backed away against the wall, looking horrified. 
Pettigrew knelt, trembling uncontrollably, and turned his head slowly toward me. He practically crawled onto my lap.

“Willow...You won’t let them hurt me...I was always nice to you.”

I jumped up and stood out of his reach.

“You have seen me get changed.” I said in horror.

“You won’t let them hurt me...” he said desperately.

I had to kick him to get him off my robes.

Now that was probably the creepiest part of my night. He turned and saw Harry.
"Harry...Harry...you look just like your father...just like him..." 
"HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO HARRY?" roared Black. "HOW DARE YOU FACE HIM? HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT JAMES IN FRONT OF HIM?" 
"Harry," whispered Pettigrew, shuffling toward him, hands outstretched. "Harry, James wouldn't have wanted me killed...James would have understood, Harry...he would have shown me mercy..." 
Both Black and Lupin strode forward, seized Pettigrew's shoulders, and threw him backward onto the floor. He sat there, twitching with terror, staring up at them. 
"You sold Lily and James to Voldemort," said Black, who was shaking too. "Do you deny it?" 
Pettigrew burst into tears. It was horrible to watch, like an oversized, balding baby, cowering on the floor. 
"Sirius, Sirius, what could I have done? The Dark Lord...you have no idea...he has weapons you can't imagine ...I was scared, Sirius, I was never brave like you and Remus and James. I never meant it to happen...He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named forced me --" 
"DON'T LIE!" bellowed Black. "YOU'D BEEN PASSING INFORMATION TO HIM FOR A YEAR BEFORE LILY AND JAMES DIED! YOU WERE HIS SPY!" 
"He -- he was taking over everywhere!" gasped Pettigrew. "Wh-what was there to be gained by refusing him?" 
"What was there to be gained by fighting the most evil wizard who has ever existed?" said Black, with a terrible fury in his face. "Only innocent lives, Peter!" 
"You don't understand!" whined Pettigrew. "He would have killed me, Sirius!" 
"THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED!" roared Black. "DIED RATHER THAN BETRAY YOUR FRIENDS, AS WE WOULD HAVE DONE FOR YOU!" 
Black and Lupin stood shoulder to shoulder, wands raised. 
"You should have realized," said Lupin quietly, "if Voldemort didn't kill you, we would. Good-bye, Peter." 
Hermione covered her face with her hands and turned to the wall. 
I stood there in utter shock.