Chapter Twenty

Even though my friends and I seemed to be in a state of depression, in the rest of the castle, the usual magnificent Christmas decorations had been put up, despite the fact that hardly any of the students remained to enjoy them. Thick streamers of holly and mistletoe were strung along the corridors, mysterious lights shone from inside every suit of armour, and the Great Hall was filled with its usual twelve Christmas trees, glittering with golden stars. A powerful and delicious smell of cooking pervaded the corridors, and by Christmas Eve, it had grown so strong that even Scabbers poked his nose out of the shelter of Ron's pocket to sniff hopefully at the air.

On Christmas morning, I threw my pillow at Hermione to wake her up.

"YO! HERMY! IT'S CHRISTMAS!" I screamed at her.

"I hope you bought me earmuffs" she said as she covered her ears.

Mrs. Weasley had sent me a Green sweater with a Willow tree knitted on the front("hell yeah!"), also a dozen home-baked mince pies, some Christmas cake, and a box of brownies.

I opened a container of heart shaped lollies from George and began to eat them instantly.

"Isn't it a bit early for that?" Hermione said as I ate.

"Never too early for sugar!" I said happily.

"Holy crap, you're going to go ballistic."

"BABY! I WAS BORN BALISTIC!"

"God, kill me now."

We continued opening presents and laughing before we put our dressing gowns on and headed to the boys dorm.

She was carrying Crookshanks, and I was carrying Soxy.

"Oww! He bit me!" I complained at Soxy. "watch yourself, or I will turn you into a sock."

We walked into the boys room and they were laughing like me in Lupin's office.

Haha no.

But they were laughing.

"What're you two laughing about?" Hermione asked.

"Don't bring him in here!" said Ron, hurriedly snatching Scabbers from the depths of his bed and stowing him in his pyjama pocket.

I couldn't help thinking he would have been safer in the bottom of his bed, but you know, I really couldn't give two shits about that rat.

That thought was long and now I can't remember what it was about.

Hermione dropped Crookshanks onto Seamus's empty bed and stared, open-mouthed, at something.

Holy shit it was a firebolt.

"THATS A REALLY GOOD BROOM!"

Thanks for clarifying Lucy.

"Shut up."

No you shut up.

"What are you? Twelve?"

They say I'm thirteen, but I reckon it's a lie.

"What the hell."

"Oh, Harry! Who sent you that?" Hermione said breaking me from my mental argument.

"No idea," said Harry. "There wasn't a card or anything with it."

Hermione did not appear either excited or intrigued by the news. On the contrary, her face fell, and she bit her lip.

"What's the matter with you?" said Ron.

"I don't know," said Hermione slowly, "but it's a bit odd, isn't it? I mean, this is supposed to be quite a good broom, isn't it?"