- Prologue -

Prologue

-

Everything was dark around the area except for the soft glow to the outside street lights and the occasional flicker of the neon sign behind me. Heavy thuds of rain landed against the metal roof I was standing under, the occasional drop hitting my face every now and then. Coldness surrounded my body, white puffs coming from my mouth and curling into the air before fading away and disappearing.

Not many cars were out, maybe about three or four every ten minutes. The street was practically abandoned and if it weren't for the loud laughing booming through the place behind me, I would've thought that nobody ever came here. Taking the cigarette that was between my index finger and my thumb, I brought it to my lips and took a drag, my body somewhat relaxing.

It was late, around eleven o'clock at night, almost midnight in fact, and Harry was supposed to pick me up at ten. He hasn't been late in about a week or two and I thought he had change his ways but I was clearly wrong.

Headlights shone in my face making me snap out of the trance I was in, my icy eyes traveling over to where the car was. It was Harry. As I took one last puff from the finished fag, the horn went off, meaning Harry was getting impatient. I should be the one who got impatient.

Sighing softly, the head of the fag was pushed against the brick wall, the light on it going out and ashes falling. Quickly, I tugged the hood of my jacket over my head and jogged off to the car where he was waiting for me.

By the time I got in the car, my body was soaked and shivering. Harry took notice and cranked up the heat a bit before clenching around the steering wheel, his head turning to face me. My eyes were already scanning his face and it was noticeable. The flushed cheeks, swollen lips and messy hair.

"Took you long enough."

His voice was roughed up and deep like he hadn't spoken for a few hours. The glare he threw at me didn't go unnoticed, his eyes a bit squinted and his jaw ticking. A deep sigh rumbled from my chest at that.

"I could say the same to you. Almost two hours later. New record."

At my words, his fists around the steering wheel loosened and he broke eye contact to look at the time. For a moment his face fell but then it went back to before, his hands gripping at the wheel again. His eyes moved away from the blue glow that told him the time, to look over at me instead, not fearing to look me dead in the eyes.

"You know, smoking is bad for you." He paused. "You promised to stop."

Now it was my turn to be caught off guard but quickly, fury filled my body but I managed to hide it well. Hypocrite. That's what he was. He wants to talk about breaking promises when he himself broke so many.

Shifting in my seat, my body turned to him now instead of just my head.

"You know what else is bad? Cheating." I paused just like he did. "You promised to never cheat. That promise was broken, wasn't it, Harry? You promised to never do it again. Clearly that promise was broken multiple times. I wouldn't speak up about broken promises if I were you."

From the way his lips parted and then shut let me know he was currently speechless. That's when I noticed a dark color right on his ear. Lipstick. That's exactly what it was. Me chest hurt at the thought of him with other people. I should be used to this. It's been going on for three years, ever since he became big in the industry.

Why do I stay? Because believe it or not, I've been in love with Harry since he was nineteen and I was sixteen. He's in love with me too. Or he was at least. Even after he hurt me multiple times, I can't find it in my heart to break up with him. It'd probably hurt me more than it'd hurt him.