Chapter 1: Longlife contract

We were walking at Hongdae street. It is a typical day for me. It is spring, which means it the time of the year when the cherry blossoms bloom. Me and my brother would go out and have some fun. It is a bit boring to stay at home all the time. The lights, the people, the music. It is just perfect.

I stopped as I saw something beautiful. A chain with a crescent moon design. I smiled. I was knocked out of my train of thought by my brother. My younger brother, Kim Jongdae. He might be a bad boy at school but he can be a little kid at times. I point at the chain and smiled while saying," Let's buy that. One for you and one for me. Maybe another one for mother."

My brother smiled and said," Sure."

We went on and bought it. Jongdae then got a call. Apparently, our mother is waiting for us near the entrance of Hongdae. I can't wait to give this to mother. It's her birthday you see. As we passed by another store, We overheard the TV news.

In 5:30 in the afternoon a, what it is to believed, a 20- year old man found to be stabbing people randomly near HongDae area. All citizens in HongDae area are advised to evacuate indoors and shop keepers to make sure that doors are locked after evacuation is complete. No one is to be at the entrance of HongDae as the attacker is armed and dangerous.

Immediately, people starting to evacuate indoors. But something struck me. Mom! She's at the gates of HongDae! I started to panicked. I exclaimed," Mom!"

Unknowingly, I ran a fast as I can. Pushing people out of my way, ignoring my brother's calls. I must reach her. I must! The streets slowly grew empty. The other citizens inside the stores, hiding, looking at me and thought of the fact that I'm crazy to ran towards the place where a psychotic killer is. I don't care.

The only thing in my mind is My Mother's safety. I ran and ran. Once I've reached at the gates. I saw injured citizens. I wandered around. Then, I saw her. I smiled in relief to see that she is fine. I ran towards her but by the time I reached her. It is too late. The next thing I know, my mother was shot. She falls down on the ground. Unknowlingly, I shouted at the top of my voice," NO!!!!!!!!!"

I didn't reach her on time. I'm weak. I froze as I watched my mother dying. I immediately kneeled down as my legs are weak by the sight of my mother being stabbed. I slowly watched the cherry blossoms petals fall on my mother's lifeless body. The man stood up, he held up his bloody knife and a gun. That knife, stained by numerous victims. The gun, which shot numerous innocent citizens. Why is he doing this? Is it intentional? People might take him as a psychopath which made him free from the death sentence from the law.

Why is he doing this? Before I knew it, the man is aiming at me. What should I do? Should I fight that man? Or should I let him shot me which might result me to my death. Time is running out and I can't make my final decision. I guess I should let him shoot me. I closed my eyes, getting ready to let in the pain or maybe death. However, nothing happened. Only a 'bang' sound can be heard. I opened my eyes. There, I saw her. A random kid hugging me. Her grip tightens as she endured the pain. In short, she saved me. The main question is why?

Why did she do that to a mere stranger? Merely, me. She looked up and looked at me with her teary eyes. She smiled and said," Thank goodness. I made it in time."

I was touched by her words. She sounded that she was relieved that I wasn't hurt. No one had done that to me before. I looked at her. I tired to hold her. I'm trying to support her so that she couldn't fall. I looked at the name tag. Ahn Min Ji. The one who saved me.

A few weeks later......

I'm sad. Even though I was saved by the girl, I couldn't get over to the fact that I've failed to saved my mother. I'm not a man. Even though now I'm 21 I'm still not strong enough to protect the person that I loved. I cried. Day by day, my health had been kept failing. My younger brother is worried about me.