Chapter XIII

KREIOS TOUCHED DOWN ON the rooftop of the tower to find Michael Alexander not only alive, but well.

"Michael," he said, "I should kill you." Kreios did not know what to think about the boy Airel loved. He had harbored so much unbridled hatred toward him since that day on the cliff top that looking at him now, he wondered where it had all gone.

"I also wrecked your truck," the boy said simply. "Crashed into a big demon in Oregon."

He was in earnest, which impressed Kreios. He could sense a sea of change within him. "No. I will not kill you right now. But the SUV... perhaps we will talk about that later." He looked up into the tree as the demon Nwaba broke apart into ash and floated away in the breeze. "I will say, however, that I am now an admirer of your work." Words were so much cheaper than actions, Kreios mused. He would see, but perhaps the boy deserved a chance after all.

"Thanks." Michael shifted his feet, looking away. The awkwardness between them thickened.

Kreios looked at him. "You are well. How is this so?"

Michael showed him his chest, which was clear of any sign of the work of the Bloodstone. "Ellie healed me."

"Ellie? Who is Ellie?"

"She's a half-breed, an Immortal. We met her while we were trying to catch up with you. You know, along your trail of destruction. But—"

Kreios was grim. "Yes." He thought for a moment. "I suppose I should apologize."

Michael said nothing.

"Michael—"

"Look, this half-breed girl, Ellie. We don't have time to talk. She needs help. When she healed me, something happened. And I'm afraid the only one who knows what we might be able to do is you."

"Where is she?"