Chapter Ten - The Three Broomsticks

Start from the beginning

I understand what Draco means now. Voldemort wants to kill Perseus, or at least he will once he finds out he exists.

Draco runs a hand through his perfect blonde hair. "It's too dangerous for you - for us - to be around him. Not in our current situation." His grey eyes follow mine as he tries to figure out what I'm thinking? What am I thinking? Hurt because of the way he snapped in the Great Hall, guilty for bringing up what was clearly a difficult subject for him, angry that I'd gotten up Perseus hopes of some sort of family reunion, and understanding that what Draco was saying was right. With a sigh, I nod and stood up, rising to my tiptoes so that I could press my lips to his ear.

"For you, I'll leave him alone. I promise."

Draco wraps his arm around my back and buries his face in my neck. "Thank you," he murmurs, before kissing my check softly. "Where do you want to go?"

It's too far to get to the treehouse - the little den that Draco showed me last year for our first date and has been our sort of escape - without brooms. In fact, I doubt that I could even find it on foot. Madam Puddifoots makes me cringe, and the Hogs Head is so dirty that whenever I've been there, I've felt like the dust and grim sits in the butterbeers and transfers itself onto you by simply walking past.

"Three Broomsticks?" he asks, stroking my hair affectionately. I sigh before nodding slowly "it'll have to be."

Our feet trudge through the thick snow - surprisingly alot for early November. Draco grabs me suddenly as my feet come to an invisible patch of ice and I nearly slip over. I give him a grateful smile, which he reciprocates softly, and lets me go.

Professor Flitwick comes over the hill from the village, the snow nearly reaching to his knees. He wraps his deep green coat tighter around him, and catching sight of us, gives me a respectful grin. "Good afternoon Miss Weasley, Mr Malfoy. Dreadful weather, isn't it?"

"Quite sir, I'm looking forward to the warm fire of the Three Broomsticks!" I exclaim politely. The charms teacher gives me a nod and begins to walk again. "Well then, have a good afternoon the pair of you! Just make sure that your charms homework is done by Monday - NEWTs are much more serious than OWLs you'll find, and even the single piece of missed homework could affect your final grade!"

"We already finished it before we left, sir." Draco says firmly, grabbing my hand and dragging me onwards. He has no specific dislike for Professor Flitwick - Slytherin and Ravenclaw have never been enemies, and Flitwick appreciates Draco's magical ability. But he's obviously not in the mood today, and I don't object. I wave farewell to the teacher before turning away and walking with Draco over the final hill and down towards Hogsmeade.

The Three Broomsticks sits in the centre of the village, and is usually packed full of people - students, residents of the village, visitors and even a few of the teachers. Today is no exception, and Draco and I are lucky to find a small booth in the corner of the room. "I'll get us some drinks" he says as he removes his scarf and gloves. "Butterbeer?" I make a small noise of agreement and he disappears, leaving me to survey the other drinkers around us.

In the corner, I catch sight of Ginny and Dean, who are kissing each other quite obliviously to the rest of the world. Do Draco and I look like that? I shudder at the thought of looking so cringe-worthy as my sister, and barely notice when Harry, Ron and Hermione come through the door. I only look up when the wave of cold air hits me and to find Harry smiling down at me. "Hello, how are you?" he asks whilst Ron and Hermione disappear to an empty table nearer to the fireplace. "I'm alright, as well as can be I suppose."

Harry scrapes some snow off his trainer as he says "are you here alone?"

I look over to Draco, who's stood stiffly at the bar and handing over a couple of sickles to the bartender. Harry follows my gaze, and I could have sworn I saw him grimace when he saw Draco there. But he says nothing, instead commenting "looks like our number one fan is here too."