Chapter 3

Mekhi

After the altercation with Red, Mekhi went inside the house in search of Marcus. He spotted Marcus moving across the room toward a woman who, also, looked oddly familiar. Not wanting to cockblock his brother , he went into the kitchen to get a drink and to catch up with a few of his friends.

"Yo, I saw some bird outside wildin' you out. You messing with women, too?" Julius said when he saw Mekhi enter the kitchen. Julius was Marcus' friend and although he was cool, Mekhi was well aware of the comments Julius made regarding his sexuality and so he didn't really care too much for him.

"Nah, just a misunderstanding. " Mekhi replied while taking a sip from his beer. "There she go right there. I'm staying as far away from her as I can." He added as he saw Red moving across the room.

"So, how long you messed with men?" Julius asked casually.
It kind of took Mekhi aback because no straight man had ever been interested in his dealing with men. Even with his brother being accepting he didn't really want the details. "About 5 years now." He said with another sip of beer. "And you?"

Julius damn near chocked on his drink as he coughed and liquid went spewing out of his mouth. "Ch-ch-chill man. I'm not gay. You know that, yo. "

Mekhi tried to stifle a laugh, " uh huh. Sure."  He shook his head and headed back out to the main room when he began to hear commotion.  Just as he rounded the corner out of the kitchen he caught a glimpse of a man with a gun and saw people scatter like roaches out of the house which gave him a clear view of what was going on. Everything seemed to happen so quickly right before his eyes. He saw Marcus still standing with the woman, shielding her and yelling, "this has to be a mistake, wa-" and he was cut off by the gunshot. Time immediately slowed down, Mekhi saw Marcus fly  back into the woman, clutching his chest and fell to the ground. Mekhi ran over to the area and hit the big man with all his strength, catching him off guard and causing him to stumble. Red looked as if she saw a ghost, and then it registered that she had the wrong man attacked, there were two of him. She had set up the wrong person.

"Someone call 911!!" The mystery woman yelled snapping Mekhi out of his trance. The woman moved fast, first checking Marcus' pulse. She began tearing his shirt open to get a clear view of the injury.
"You, twin, call 911 and give me your shirt. "
Mehki did as he was told and handed the woman his shirt and sat his phone down on speaker for the woman who clearly had medical background. All he could think about what what would happen if his brother died.

He kneeled over his brother, who's eyes where fluttering and mouth was moving as if to say something.
"Don't say anything. Just stay with me, bro. You're gonna be fine " Mekhi said as he squeezed his brothers hand and waiting for the paramedics to arrive.

The paramedics arrived shortly after they called 911. Mekhi was frantic when the paramedics tried to explain why it would be best if he didn't ride along. His brother was in critical condition and needed help as quickly as possible.

"Sir, we have to get him to the hospital as quickly as possible. You can't ride with us, we could use this nurses extra set of hands."  The paramedics explained while loaded Marcus into the ambulance.

"I'll take him. " Julius called from behind Mekhi as he pulled the frantic, crying man from the doorway so the ambulance could pull off. Mekhi cried in Julius' bear hug as he started to blame hisself for the accident.
"This is my fault. Had I not dating that stupid ass closeted ass nigga, " he cried, while kicking debris across the lawn.

"It's not your fault. It's no way you could have know this would happen." He rubbed his friends back. " we have to hurry to the hospital."