Part 2 - So that's how it is then...

You swung the axe heavily, and the tree came toppling down. You grinned widely. For a seeminly autumn day, it was surprisingly warm. You'd left both your sweater and jacket back at camp, in fact, you'd even ditched your plaid shirt and were parading around in your black singlet. You placed the axe onto the forest floor, collecting the pinecones and planting them. Wilson had warned you of what happens when you don't, and tree giants were really not something you wanted to deal with.
Soon enough, with what you'd call a 'metaphoric fuckton' of wood, you made your way back to Wilson. He was building some bizarre thing, though you no longer had the gall to question his antics, and the two of you had been in the area for about a week now. He seemed stressed, so you left him be. Well, you left him be until he called out to you.
"Miss {L/N}!" He called, looking around for you. You jogged over, smiling. You stood next to him at his work table, admiring all of his small inventions.
"What do I need to kill?" You asked, not actually meaning it. He ignored that.
"Alright, first of all, I want your honest opinion here, where do you think we are?" He asked, crossing his arms.
"On an island, well and truly away from our homes?"
"Okay, and how do you think we got here?"
"Something occult, more than likely."
"Well, my dear lady, you aren't wrong. There is definitely something wrong here, and I have no idea what I'm doing. In short, I need help. Remember those books you told me about?" He said, pulling out a book you had previously held in your backpack. The 'Codex Umbra' was held out to you. You held it, examining the front cover.
"Uh huh. I've read it front to back a few times, why?"
"Well, I'm pretty sure those 'old gods' mentioned in the books had something to do with it. When I first arrived here, I was tricked by a downright horrid man named Maxwell. Have you heard of him?"
"Of course. You won't stop rambling about him. What did he do?"
"In short, he tricked me. I just wanted to do something worthwhile, and the fool decides to trick me into learning some forbidden knowledge as he called it. I thought I would change the world with my genius. Turns out, I got thrown into this mess. I created a portal funnily enough. He forced me to turn it on, and these... I don't know, shadow hands, pulled me here. I woke up and the bastard was treating me like a puppet.How did you get here, exactly?"
"I only agreed to go on a camping trip with my friends to try a certain... Ritual. See, my theory is, magic is just science we're yet to understand, as it's usually out of our control. Magic is just far more contemplated with a whole lot more mojo to it. I tried to summon one of the old gods, just for an experiment. I ended up tripping into the pentacle, one of my friends scared me. The old god was already trapped in the pentacle, and now that I was in there, instead of me being in control, it grabbed me. I ended up being tricked by something, I think it was a creature called the Grue. I don't remember, but it mentioned to be afraid of the dark."
"See, my dear, I've done a little more.. Research on the 'Grue' as you call it. It turns out, Maxwell and the Grue know one another, and seem to be collaborating, trapping people here for their own little game."
"So we're just puppets in one of the most large and twisted shows in history."
"Yes."
"God I wish I wasn't so interested in the occult and I wouldn't want to investigate more."
"Yes, but that just makes you an even better fieldworker."
"You sound like such a nerd."
Wilson raised an eyebrow. "I have no idea what that is."
"I swear to god you're from a different era or some shit."
His gaze went from questioning to concerned. "What did you just say."
"You're from a different era?"
"What do you mean different. Aren't you from 1923 as well?"
"What! No! I was born in 1990!" You shouted. "The Grue full on pulled me right out of Easter 2015. Are you saying that you're from the early nineteen hundreds?"
Wilson looked paler, more worried. "You do realise what this means, right? If the Grue and Maxwell both have access to different time periods, any type of calamity can occur. The entire fabric of space time can tear itself apart."
"So what if they get, I don't know, one of our ancestors? We could literally cease to exist." You muttered. Wilson started looking through the book once more, searching for time-related anomalies. He gripped the table as he did so, knuckles turning white. You stepped next to him, looking at the pages with him. Literally nothing was said about either the Grue or anything time related. He started to shake, which is exactly where you stepped in. "Mr Higgsbury? You alright? Hey, come on. That book is probably hundreds of years old. We're two incredibly bright people. We can work this out ourselves."
Wilson seemed to calm slightly at that, nodding. You took the book from him, placing it down.
"Did you call me Mr Higgsbury?" He asked, smirking.
"I have been all week. Why? Does it bother you?"
"Hmm? Of course not. I just hadn't realised just how silly you sounded trying to use formalities."
"Says the one calling me Miss {L/N}."
"Fine then, {Y/N}." He chuckled. He still looked faint, and as he looked at the sundial on the table, he sighed. "I'm hungry."
"Damn right. I got a turkey the other day. We can have that."
"Brilliant."