3 | Potions {edited}

"I still can't wrap my head around the idea that Snape is now our Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher. I mean, we've always had him for Potions. Who knows what he'll make us do now that he finally has his dream job," I confessed to Hermione as we entered the Potions classroom.

"I'm sure it'll sink in once we actually have class with him," she replied. "Looks like our new Potions professor isn't here yet though."

We stood in the back of the room with everyone else who was slowly filing in, and there was no sign of Professor Slughorn.

"Morning ladies. Sleep well?" Seamus Finnigan sauntered over to us, with Dean Thomas in tow.

"Alright, and yourself?" I sighed, adjusting my skirt. As a typical teenage boy, Seamus' eyes had tendencies to wander, and it had become a habit to tug my skirt lower while in his presence.

"Ron snored the whole night. I was ready to throw something at him," he chuckled, leaning against one of the tables.

"I almost did," Dean added with a small smirk.

"Speaking of Ron, have you guys seen either him or Harry?" Hermione cut in. As usual, she was worrying over her two best friends.

"Last time I saw them was at breakfast. But I do know that neither of them are taking Potions this year." Seamus shrugged.

"Are you kidding me? How do they ever expect to become aurors without sixth year Potions?" she rolled her eyes just as Professor Slughorn entered the room.

"Good morning class! I'm Professor Slughorn, but I'm sure most of you know that already. I taught this class many years ago, and I'm now back again as a favour to your Headmaster. Now, before we begin, I'd just like to say-"

Slughorn was cut off by the sound of the door creaking open.

Looking up, I saw Harry and Ron walk into the room.

"Harry, how good to see you! And you've brought a friend!" Slughorn smiled brightly at Harry.

They knew each other?

"This is Ron Weasley, sir," he answered, noticing the awkward silence that now filled the classroom.

"Well a friend of Harry's is a friend of mine! Now get out your books and-"

"Um sorry sir, but I haven't got any books. Neither does Ron." Harry cut in.

"Not a problem! Just grab some from the cupboard," Slughorn replied cheerfully, before turning his attention to the rest of us. "Now, today I have a few potions for you all to examine. By the time you complete your N.E.W.T.s you should be able to brew these tricky potions. Can anyone tell me what they are?"

I noticed that Ron and Harry seemed to be struggling over something in the back cupboard, but I turned my attention back to the magical concoctions in front of me as I felt Hermione shoot her hand into the air.

"The first one is Veratiserum. It's a colourless and odourless potion that forces the drinker to tell the truth," Hermione answered proudly.

It never ceased to amaze me how that girl was able to memorize so many things. My head would explode if I attempted to learn all the things that she knew.

I heard Harry and Ron shuffle in behind us, and what sounded like Harry lightly elbowing his best friend in the gut. Boys could be so strange sometimes.

"Well done Miss-"

"Granger, sir. Hermione Granger."

"Well done, Miss Granger. Can anyone tell me what the second potion is?" Slughorn smiled at Hermione and looked around the room.