2 | Hogwarts {edited}

After a long but thankfully uneventful few hours, the train finally arrived at the station in Hogsmeade.

As I stepped onto the cobblestone platform, I realized that we'd have to go through the pouring rain to get to the carriages.

"We're going to have to make a run for it," Ginny sighed from beside me. I nodded, and the four of us began sprinting away from the station and towards the carriages that would take us up to the castle.

As I neared them, I suddenly froze in shock.

Normally, the carriages pulled themselves, or so it had seemed for the previous five years. Now, I stood looking at a pair of bony, dark-skinned, horse-like creatures in front of the carriages.

"Thestrals," I breathed, ignoring the rain that was currently soaking me to the bone.

"I don't understand. Why can we suddenly see them?" Neville questioned, staring at the creatures in confusion.

"Sirius," Ginny whispered from beside me, and a dreadful realization came over me.

One could only see Thestrals if they had seen death. Up until a few months ago, I'd never been able to see them. However, since Sirius Black had died during the fiasco at the Ministry, I was now able to see the morbid creatures.

A shudder ran through me as I realized that I'd rather not be able to see them.

"Come, let's get in a carriage before they're all taken." Luna broke through my depressed trance, and we all quickly jumped into the nearest carriage, which was thankfully empty.

Seconds later, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley poked their heads in.

"Hey guys!" Ron gave a small wave, accidentally poking his friend in the face.

"Ouch, Ronald! Be more aware of your surroundings!" she hissed at him. Those two bickered like an old married couple, and it was always  hilarious to listen to.

"Come in, we've got enough room!" Neville invited them, sliding over a bit. They didn't need to be told twice, and seemed glad to get out of the downpour outside.

"You guys haven't seen Harry, have you? He's been missing for most of the train ride, and I assumed he must be with you lot." Hermione frowned as the carriages began to move forward.

"No, sorry Hermione. None of us have seen him." Neville shrugged.

"How curious," Luna quietly mused from beside me.

"I hope he's alright," Ginny worried, and I held back a giggle. No matter what she said, she was still hopelessly in love with Harry Potter.

"I'm sure he'll be fine, Hermione. Harry knows how to take care of himself." I reassured her. The bushy-haired girl nodded, but still didn't look convinced.

Minutes later, we finally arrived at the castle. We would've gotten there much quicker, but each student had to be searched by aurors before they were allowed to enter the castle. It was just another reminder that times had changed, and darkness had fallen over the wizarding world.

***********************************

"Where is he?" Hermione whispered, biting her nails nervously. She was so worried about her friend that she had yet to even touch her food.

"Don't worry Hermione, he'll show up." Neville had joined me in trying to calm her down, but so far nothing had worked.

I glanced over at Ron and chuckled — that boy was always eating. Apparently, Hermione didn't think it was so funny though.

"Will-" Smack! "You-" Smack! "Stop-" Smack! "Eating?" she hissed, whacking the redhead with her Transfiguration textbook in between every word. "Your best friend is missing!"

Instead of replying, Ron just pointed towards the entrance to the Great Hall.

Looking up, I saw none other than Harry Potter himself, along with the young auror, Tonks. I'd met her a few times because she worked with my father, and I always thought she was sweet, albeit a little quirky.  

"He's covered in blood. Why is it he's always covered in blood?" Ginny sighed from beside me.

"Looks like it's his own this time."

"What did I miss?" Harry asked as he sat down, trying not to draw too much attention to himself.

"The sorting hat told us some rubbish about being brave and true to ourselves in these troubled times. What does it know? It's only a hat," Ron grumbled, taking another bite of chicken.

As Ginny helped Harry wipe the blood off his face and the rest of my friends ate their dinner, I realized that there was a certain seriousness in the air. Bad things were coming, and it seemed to me like everyone could sense it too.