Non-Prologue

As they grew older, Nicolette and Rosemary Mason faced struggles in their sisterly relationship as well as their mental strength. The werewolf and vampire blood inside of them fought for dominance, causing them headaches and mood swings. They began to show unreasonable hatred for each other, though neither of them had wronged the other, as each began to trend towards one being. Nicki began to show vampire-like tendencies, her mother showed favoritism towards her, being a vampire herself. Her sister, Rose, however began to show werewolf tendencies, and her mother could not stand caring for her. With only a note of introduction and explanation, she left the two girls on Henry Mason's doorstep, unaware of why their mother had disowned them.

As the twins displayed more signs of hatred for one another and inhuman characteristics, their father decided that it was best if they were told of their heritage. He told them everything, from the stories of the vampire colony that lived nearby many years ago, to the genetic makeup of the Mason family. He instructed them everyday on how to control themselves, but it was all for naught. Shortly after the twins' sixteenth birthday, the vampire within Nicolette became too powerful, and she began to suck the life out of her inner wolf that began to rejuvenate. Living with a vampire also proved to be too much for Rosemary. As a werewolf, her body began to fight for the alpha position so that she could transform and protect from the tribe from the impending threat that was her sister.