Chapter 7: Distracting Shirts... Or lack there of

Start from the beginning

Like mother like daughter some might say.

+++++++++++

The rest of Charlotte's first week of school was pretty uneventful. She spent it trying to figure out where all her classes were and which teacher was easy going and which were the ones to stay out of the way from. She made mental notes on all the normal things you should find out when you move to a new school.

·      Whether you can actually eat at the canteen. (Yes surprisingly Winchester had an awesome cook who even made sushi!)

·      Which girls' bathrooms were sanitary and did not look like the designer had made toilet paper floorboards. (Second corridor near Polly's locker)

·      Were there any kids you needed to steer clear of? (Yes, plenty according to April, the stoners group and the queen bee bitches to kick off the list)

·      Was there any talent? (My God was there plenty of that!)

·      Where did everyone hang out on weekends? (That had mixed responses)

'It depends on who you're with and what kind of 'hanging out' you want to do,' April shrugged as she walked side by side with Charlotte to their last class on the Friday. 'If it's just close friends we usually go to someone's house, and that house usually belongs to Eli because he has the coolest house,' she explained. 'If it's with a bigger group of people, or we want to do something outside it's almost always at Winchester Heights.'

Charlotte nodded as they entered the room heading for the seats at the back that were in groups of three. She'd realized April was a total chatterbox when it came to school. The girl barely paid attention and was always looking for something more fun to keep her occupied.

'You remember Winchester Heights?' April smirked. 'It's where Max took you on your first date.'

Charlotte rolled her eyes and shoved her shoulder lightly.

'First date already? He moves quickly,' Eli said sliding into the empty seat beside Charlotte as she rolled her eyes at him. Of course he would hear that part.

April leant over Charlotte winking at Eli, 'I know right. Way to woo the new girl.'

'So were you woo'd?' Eli turned to Charlotte, his tone was light and teasing but his face was completely blank. He was making fun of her. She squirmed in her seat praying for the teacher to come in and stop this awkward conversation. She really didn't want Eli to tease her about Max, she didn't like him having the upper hand on her.

Charlotte ignored him and saw out the corner of her eye as he smiled and leant back into his seat appearing to drop the subject for now, thank God. He was focused on his phone texting someone, so she had a chance to look at him without him noticing. He was wearing a thin pale green t-shirt with some denim shorts that cut off at his knees, this was the most colourful she'd seen him...ever. His hair was mussed up in the usual way that suited him so well and he wore a pair of tatty black converse, she'd guessed he'd owned for years.

'Are you checking me out?' He said without looking up from his phone, a playful smirk appearing on his features.

 'What? No,' she whispered back as the teacher called for their attention. Finally.

 'Alright, alright I believe you, don't cry or anything,' his smirk widened.

Charlotte groaned and sunk low in her seat in embarrassment. Of course he wouldn't let that slide.

'What does he mean don't cry?' April whispered sounding amused.

'Nothing,' she replied wishing he'd forgotten already.