Thorin Imagine: Healer. Part Four

The atmosphere in the camp had changed since that night in the cave, and certainly not for the better. Food had become ridiculously scarce as the company closed in on the Mirkwood border, as many animals did not hover around these sickened lands long enough to get a decent shot. The hunger had started to dampen spirits, and most of the men rolled into bed at night with empty stomachs and lustful thoughts of their families back home in the blue mountains.

"I will need to go and gather some things for my medicines tonight-" (Y/N) whispered to Thorin as the company had been walking that evening. "-I can also look for some fungi, perhaps enough for a hearty soup."

"Fine-" The thought of any decent meal had Thorin convinced with immediate effect. "-But you must allow me to come with you, it is too dangerous in these parts for you to go alone."

(Y/N) smirked while lightly biting one of her plumped lips, leaning in to speak so that only the king would hear. "If I didn't know any better, I would think you were only saying that to try and get me to yourself for a while, Thorin Oakenshield."

The pair of them had let their relationship bloom at its own moderate pace, as there was already more than enough pressure on everyone to make sure that the journey to Erebor elapsed as smoothly as it possibly could. It had also become practically impossible to have any spare time on their own, as the procedure of leaving camp involved each member of the crew knowing where each other member was, in case of a spontaneous Orc attack. It was the reason why the couple had been reduced to muttering sweet nothings to each other as everyone else was busy walking, only being able to kiss each other good night while the night guard had turned his back.

Thorin reached down and attempted to stroke her hand without anyone seeing and grinned back at her. "Would I need such a pitiful excuse to get you alone?" He calmly chuckled, his heart missing a beat of its usually steady rhythm at witnessing her irresistible smile.

"Aye, and I'm sure you say that to all the dwarves..." (Y/N) called tauntingly before they both fell about in the lengthy meadow grass, laughing vigorously. 

Kili heard this and ran up to them, wanting badly to be in on the joke. The lack of merriment in the group had affected the youngest son of Durin worst of all. "What's so funny?" He questioned with a desperate air.

"Stop being so nosy!" (Y/N) giggled, quickly letting go of Thorin's hand. "It's nothing."

"Oh, come on!!-" The king's nephew squealed, threatening to unleash one of his infamous tantrums. "-Is it a joke?? Or are you planning a trick? I could help! I can be very discreet if need be. Just tell me!"

"I was only saying that Bombur might not miss a few rashers of meat off his backside if anyone was brave enough to go near once he has fallen asleep." Thorin mocked, giggling richly while rolling his eyes at (Y/N). "I'm so hungry that I'm more than willing to try it."

Kili eyed them both suspiciously, looking to the woman while she nodded earnestly in agreement. The dwarf prince then suddenly let out a series of sharp laughs, slapping his knee and wiping at his eyes. "Good one uncle. I'll have to tell Fili that one."

The three of them continued on together for a short while before Bilbo managed to lure Kili back in line with an old shire-folk magic trick of the disappearing handkerchief. It was then that a clearing opened up in a dense patch of oaks, and Thorin decided that they should rest for a while, his legs beginning to burn from the overuse of hiking such a long way. "It is getting late-" He addressed the rest of the company, authority dripping from his tone. "-We should settle down for the night. Dwalin, Nori, scout the area before we set up camp."

"All clear." Yelled back Dwalin a few moments later, his accent heavy with a Celtic twang. "Let's get a fire going. And I'm needing a beer!"

"I'm going to find something to put in the pot-" Fili then announced, dragging his brother to stand with him. "-I'll be damned if I have to eat another flipping mushroom. No offence of course, Miss (Y/N)."