Compromise Me: Chapter 44

Start from the beginning

Travis returned her smile. "Every woman should be so lucky to be this beautiful at sixty-five."

She patted his arm and hummed a few more seconds. "You're just as charming as my Ronald was... He loved my blackberry cobbler. Josie doesn't want it."

"I'm sorry?" Travis frowned slightly. "Josie doesn't want blackberry cobbler?"

"Oh, no, dear," she said. "The house and farm. Josie loves my blackberry cobbler. Everyone does."

"Oh...okay." Travis went back to rocking and staring into the night...and waiting for Josie. The humming started up again. He heard Josie and Hannah talking earlier about Grandma Kirkland's health...about how she hadn't been herself since the funeral. Travis now understood their concern.

No...Mary Alice should not live out here by herself.

"I'm not crazy," she said between humming. "Just lonely. Ronald was my heart."

The melody started over, and Travis listened...really listened. "That's a beautiful song. I've never heard it before."

"My grandmother taught it to me," she said. "It is a family tradition...from the old country, I was told. The song begins when the heart leaves...and ends when I find it again."

He turned his head and looked at her. Find it again? Did she mean...? He cleared his throat. "Mrs. Kirkland--"

"Call me Mary Alice, dear."

He smiled at her. "Mary Alice, does the song have words?"

"None that I know," she answered. Her head turned so that she faced him. "I pray that my girls find their hearts. The pain of losing it will haunt them, but the pain only lasts for a little while. The song soothes the soul and measures the minutes." She eased back in her rocker, smiled softly, and searched for her heart.

Travis swallowed the lump in his throat and was happy to hear Josie and the kids coming up from the basement. He eased out of his chair to go help. "Is your grandmother going to be okay?" he whispered to Josie when they were alone next.

Josie peeked out one of the front windows. Mary Alice remained in her chair, humming. "Mom said she's been like that for a while now," Josie said. "Most of the time, she's Grandma, but sometimes, I think...I think she really misses Grandpa. It's a good thing she's going to live with her sister. They need each other."

"What's going to happen to the farm?" he asked, helping her and the kids lug camping gear out into the yard. They traipsed past Mary Alice, still humming, and down the porch stairs toward the large oak tree.

Josie said, "It'll stay in the family for the time being. We're going to lease it to some friends until Daddy and Uncle Luke figure out what to do with it. They grew up here and don't want to let it go anymore than I do."

He turned to look at her as the boys--Jak, Max, and their friend Zac--showed Tristan how to put up a simple tent. "Mary Alice said she gave it to you, and you didn't want it."

Josie smiled as Tristan fumbled with the adjustable rods. "I could not live here and be with you," she said to Travis. "My life is in Memphis now...with you and Tristan. I could have accepted the farm, but I could not have loved it as much as I love the two of you."

Travis took hold of her hand and pulled her around the giant tree trunk. He hugged her close, out of sight of the kids. "Will you ever stop sacrificing for me? I'm over my head in debt with you."

She laughed into his shoulder. "Is it wrong that I like you in my debt? I'll be rolling in the payments for the next fifty years."

"And I'll enjoy paying every installment," he replied, shifting to kiss her, but only getting a quick peck before Tristan barrelled into his leg.