Round Three - The Widow of Assha Yokuda, Pt. 3

Start from the beginning

"I am Kat-" the boy caught himself, and bit his lip. "Yoshi." he decided. Yokui waited patiently, giving the boy a skeptical look. "Perhaps you had best speak with my - my father." the boy stuttered, and Yokui nodded.

"Who is your father, then?"

"They call him Nakamura," the boy offered, "And he has just returned." He smiled as he focused his eyes on a point behind Yokui's back. 

*

"Well met, travellers." a deep voice rolled down the covered path behind them. Yokui turned and found himself face to face with half a dozen well-fed and well-armed men. Chief among them was a strong, straight man older than Yokui himself; bald and tanned nut-brown.

Yokui bowed. "Nakamura-san." The men of the bandit-lord's band had their weapons drawn, but seemed content to have the two unarmed travellers surrounded, and Yokui thought it best to seem as nonthreatening as possible. Kazu played the part already: the heimin was face-down in the dirt with his arms clamped over his head.

"Honourable oshō-san, I ask you to step away from my son," Nakamura continued, shooting an angry look at the boy, "I am not in the habit of finding him unarmed in the company of strangers, and I'm afraid it makes me nervous."

"Of course." Yokui started shuffling towards the bandit, affecting a limp and being sure to put at least two horse-length's between them. The boy looked irritated, but Nakamura's men lowered their weapons. "I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Nakamura-san, for we have come some way to speak with you." This made the bandits nervous again, but it could not be helped. No outlaw wants to hear they are being sought, no matter how innocent the seeker. "My companion," he gestured towards Kazu, still grovelling, "speaks highly of your honour in matter of justice and retribution. I come on an errand of justice as well. If we could sit and drink together, Nakamura-san, I think you will find my requests fair."

"You have come seeking a favor?" One of Nakamura's men spoke out of turn, and the leader shot him a sharp look. Still bandits, then, though the rōnin tries to civilize them, Yokui thought.

"I would not presume to steal your valuable time," Yokui replied, "I will trade for it, if that will please you. I have koku, provisions," he pointed at Kazu, "and him."

"What?" Kazu looked up, startled.

"A half-starved heimin?" Nakamura looked skeptical, "What good is-"

"Hey! That's that bastard from Tōsho - what's 'is name, Kaze!" one of the bandits stepped forward with a murderous glint in his eye.

"The one who took the horses?" another bandit squinted and raised the rim of his hat, "Shit, it is..."

"It's Kazu," Kazu said miserably, accusing Yokui with a look of deep betrayal. "And I won that horse fair!"

"One horse," the first bandit snarled, "Not six!"

"All right! We will settle this later!" Nakamura shouted at his men. They bit their lips and shook their fists, but kept silent. The bandit-lord turned to Yokui. "Apparently, we have a trade. Come. We have travelled far and wish to eat. Ogurusu is not far."

*

"You are an Oda man." Yokui cut right to the chase, seeing no value in pretending he knew less than he did. And, perhaps, the bandit-lord would be more forthcoming if he felt he was secure in his allegiance.

"I was. Now I am my own lord." the older man scowled as he chewed the charred kyōyasai had brought, as if it were boiled leather. "If you seek Oda men-"