The Return of Moony

Start from the beginning

“Where’s Potter?” She asked suddenly and Snape’s eyes widened a fraction as he noticed the boy’s absence as well.

“He had a run-in with the dementors. He’s fine.” Remus supplied as Ariella’s frown deepened. She turned to her friend with her amethyst eyes flashing.

“What do you mean, Remus? Why were the dementors so bloody close?” She growled as both Snape and Lupin turned to her in surprise.

“Elle, they are simply being precautious.” Remus excused as he watched her. He had almost forgotten how protective she was.

“Precautious?  They shouldn’t have let that monster escape in the first place!” She hissed just as Harry and Hermione walked in, followed by Minerva. Harry met her eyes for a moment before sinking into his seat next to Ron.

“Professor Cross looks upset…” Hermione mentioned as Ron snorted.

“I’d be upset too if I had to sit next to Snape.” Harry remained quiet. He knew why she was upset and it wasn’t because of Snape.

_________________________________________________________________________________ 

After dinner Harry sat in Ariella’s office, watching her pace the area in front of him.  He didn't know what to say to ease the tenstion in the air around them.

“Professor Lupin helped me, Professor. I’m fine.” He insisted before she turned to him suddenly. Her eyes were soft as her eyebrows creased in worry in the middle of her forehead.

“Harry…” Ariella bent down in from of her thirteen year old godson and pleaded with him.

“Harry, I know about the train. I don’t care about the train. It’s the summer and you running away that I’m concerned about. Do you have any idea how worried I was when they told me? You could’ve been killed!” She exclaimed softly as Harry looked down, feeling guilty. He hadn't meant to make her upset. After all, she was his godmother and she was the one professor he looked forward to seeing everyday.

“I’m sorry…” He mumbled as Ariella sighed and shook her head.

“I assume your god-awful aunt and uncle haven’t signed your permission slip?” She asked as Harry shook his head insipidly.

“No.” He answered dejectedly. Ariella sighed again. She patted his shoulder reassuringly. 

“All for the better, I suppose. It simply means I can keep a closer eye on you until they catch him.” She spat the last part venomously as Harry grew curious. After all, this woman had been best mates with his dad and mum. She had to know Sirius Black.

“Did you know this Black guy?” Harry asked curiously as Ariella frowned deeply. She nodded her head.

“I thought I did. Now off to bed. The password’s animagus.” She led him to the door before he turned suddenly and hugged her. It was something he had yearned to do all summer.

“Thank you.” He whispered as she smiled softly. She lightly kissed the top of his head before releasing him.

“I missed you, Harry. Now off with ya before Professor Snape catches you and gives you detention just to annoy me.” She remarked. Harry ginned before running down the hall. Ariella watched him until he turned the corner and turned to go back into her office.

“Do I annoy you, Cross?” A dark voice drawled.  Ariella jumped before turning to Severus as he appeared from the hallway shadows. She frowned.

“Your unwarranted hostility toward Remus annoys me.” She replied as he sighed. Trust her to try and resolve years of animosity.

“You know as well I do that my hostility toward Lupin is not unwarranted.” He growled as she folded her arms across her chest.

“Snape, that was over 15 years ago.  I would’ve thought time heals all wounds.” She retorted. Snape scowled.

“Not that wound. Or others.” He spat as Ariella softened her features at the hidden pain. She knew all too well about painful memories. After all, until recently, she had blamed the Slytherin Head of House for the scars that marred her mid-section.

“Severus…” Before he could stop her, Ariella wrapped her arms around his waist, burying herself in his robes.

“I’m sorry for the hell we put you through…” She whispered as he tensed beneath her fingers.

“Cross…” He growled before she tightened her grip.

“And I’m sorry if you feel I prefer Remus over you.” She continued as his eyes widened. How had she known? He shocked himself by wrapping his arms around her and resting his cheek atop her head. It was the closest thing to affection Severus Snape had ever shown to anyone in over 20 years.

“Don’t apologize, Ariella. Don’t ever apologize.” He whispered as he felt her smile against his skin.

“My name sounds prettier when you say it.” Ariella remarked as Severus chuckled lightly.

“As always you seem to find the most absurd things to say.” He drawled. Ariella pulled away, blushing.

“I’m sorry.” She mumbled, looking away. Severus smirked as he realized he had drawn the blush from the blonde and not Lupin or Dumbledore.

“Always defying someone aren’t you, Cross? I told you, don’t apologize.” He reminded her, deepening her blush. Snape watched it spread down her neck and trickle down her chest.

“I will be civil toward Lupin in your presence as well as the students’.” He announced as Ariella looked up in surprise.

“What?” She asked in mild confusion. She hadn't expected Snape to concede to her inner wishes. In fact, she hadn't expected Snape to even know her inner wishes. Well, one of them.

“Do not make me repeat myself ; it’s tiresome.” He replied with a scowl. Ariella smiled softly as she brushed a few wayward curls away from her face and tucked them behind her ear.

“But what about outside my presence?” She questioned with a quirked eyebrow.

“Well you’ll never know.” Severus smirked before turning to leave. His robes billowed behind him as he started to blend back into the shadows that permeated the hallway.

“Severus, one of these days, you’re going to realize you adore me!” Ariella spoke to his turned back so she never saw the look of horror that cross his face as he realized the truth of her words.

"Absurd," he responded as he continued to walk. Ariella smiled as she turned to head back into her room.