Chapter Two

The Ministry of Magic was a hive, buzzing with activity. Witches and wizards flooed in and out, going about their daily lives as if a war had never happened. Reporters mulled about, flitting in and out of the cramped offices. It wasn't long before word got out that the two remaining members of the Golden Trio had shown up in the lobby. They swarmed the pair, flocking like moths to an inferno. Questions were thrown at Harry and Hermione left and right, so many that they found it nearly impossible to answer any one. one particular blonde woman, however, stood out like a sore thumb to the pair, her voice raised almost as high as her haughty nose.

"Mister Potter!" Rita Skeeter asked shrilly. "What did it feel like, losing a third of your Golden Trio when he was pronounced dead? How are you and Miss Granger coping? Is -"

"Langlock! Impendimenta!" said Hermione furiously. "Come on, Harry, you don't have to answer any of these stupid questions. And you," she said pointedly to Rita Skeeter. "Don't forget what happens if you 'bug' me too much, eh?"

Hermione pulled him through the Ministry's many wings, levels, and departments until they arrived at the Minister of Magic's office.

"What is the Minister's patronus form, and how did you find it out?" Bill Weasley asked. He was assigned as the Minister's protection within the Ministry.

"It's a lynx, and he sent his patronus to inform Bill and Fleur's wedding guests that Scrimgeour had died and the Death Eaters had taken over the ministry." Hermione stated. Bill smiled and turned to Harry.

"Who was the secret keeper for the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix?" he asked Harry.

"Professor Albus Dumbledore." Bill nodded and put a hand on Harry's shoulder.

"Mum told me to invite you over to the Burrow. You've been so distant since Ron.. left. He, and Dad too, they wouldn't want you to draw away from your family. And that's what we are, Harry. Your family. Yours too, Hermione. You're always welcome at the Weasley houses." With that, he stepped aside to allow the young witch and wizard into their colleague and friend's office.

Kingsley sat at his desk, a piece of parchment lying clearly on his desk. Large, beautiful handwriting was elegantly written on the length of the paper. Minister Shacklebolt beckoned for them to have a seat.

"Potter, Granger." He said solemnly. A sharp intake of breath from Harry signaled his concern at his mentor's tone. "We got a tip-off on Lucius Malfoy's location. Anonymously, of course. No one wants to be blatant about such things just yet, with Avery, Crabbe, Goyle, and the lot still out and about.

"Granger, I want you researching more into the muggleborn students who fled Hogwarts now. You've found about half the list, and we're quite satisfied with your progress, but we'd like to get them all found." The somewhat bushy haired girl nodded and got up, collecting her bag before looking at her raven-haired, bespectacled friend. He gave her a small smile, silently telling her that this meeting was, indeed, what he had come for.

As soon as the door was shut, Kingsley cast Muffliato on the room before beginning their meeting.
"Potter, I'm giving you a mission of utmost importance. It seems that, though Voldemort is indeed dead and gone, poisonous toadstools never change their spots. They're regrouping, Harry. But this time, they're weak. If we beat them before they strike, we could finally eradicate them."
"What do you mean, before they strike? To do that, we'd have to know their plans. We'd have to find them first, and then we'd need-"
"A spy. I know, Potter, and I have that all arranged." Kingsley said, flicking his wand at a portrait of Cornelius Fudge. It swung inward, and a room just larger than a broom cupboard was revealed. In a plush chair in the hidden safe room was Draco Malfoy.
"Potter. Minister." He nodded curtly to each of them. Both boys looked at each other in defeat; for each had been broken. "I believe you need someone to spy on my father?"
Kingsley nodded, turning to Harry.
"Draco here hasn't been added to the list of Death Eaters to pursue because of his age and the fact that his family forced it upon him. However, new evidence is about to come out that Draco did something bad. Very bad."
Harry's eyes widened, wondering what on earth Malfoy could have "done" to deserve persecution even though he was proved innocent.
"Mister Malfoy will be wanted, and he is to be brought in for questioning over Ron's death."