Dawn

It's in the quiet stillness of dawn that I can't quite believe she's mine. She's only been asleep for a few hours and my day is just about to begin.
The early morning sun's rays reach Stevie's face and it's suddenly as if she's glowing. I'm struck by her beauty and I have to suppress a laugh. I've been waking up next to her for nearly a year, I should not still be so awestruck.
I roll to get out of bed and suddenly feel and arm tighten around me. I let out a sigh somewhere between annoyance and contentment. If she would just come to bed at a reasonable hour we could lay together all night. But her arm feels so right around my waist, I give in and roll back into her.
I feel her breathing slow and steady against me and I wonder again how I got so lucky. I try to memorize every detail of her face. I know, without question, I could wake up like this for the rest of my life; and hope she feels the same.
Her eyes slowly open and I smile. Go back to sleep I say softly. I'll come back in a few hours. She closes her eyes again and I kiss her forehead. I roll out of her arms to start my day. Maybe today I talk to my mom. Maybe today I buy the ring. Maybe today I stop being surprised she's mine and start planning the rest of our lives.