Dan POV

I had another existential crisis. As I lay on the floor of my messy bedroom, I sighed into the carpet. I heard the door crack open. It was my mum. I watched as she came over and sat on the floor next to me.

"Dan, honey, whats wrong?" She asked.

I couldn't tell her! Of course not! She's my mom, she deserves to think that she raised me right. She deserves to think that I'm happy.

"Nothing." I said into the carpet.

"Okay, well I'm going to go get some food at the store. You want anything?' She asked.

I shook my head no, while my face was against the carpet. She ruffled my hair and walked out. I started to cry. My tears soaked into the carpet. Everybody just told me I was useless today and that I wasn't needed. Little do they know, I already feel that way. They don't need to say anything. I just feel that way. I get up and wipe my tears. I pull out 'Guitar Hero' and pop it into the X-Box. I walk over to the big pile of clothes near my wardrobe and pull out my favorite guitar. I walk back over to my messy bed and sit down. Grabbing the controller, I hit the X button, accepting the rules on the T.V. that no one ever reads.

I started to think as I wrapped the strap around my shoulder. As I tried to set the guitar down gently, my butterfingers kicked in and the guitar slipped and the thing where you push down on the guitar to get the weird sound, jutted into my arm. I groaned in pain and fell on my back. Recently, I had just, um, well, I um, well I hurt myself and my wound seemed to have opened up again. I sat back up with a pained look on my face. I shoved my arm sleeve up and looked at the cut. When I did it, I thought it was big. Now looking at it, it didn't seem big enough. It didn't seem like I was getting the point across to myself that I was a mistake. I carefully put my sleeve down and chose a song on 'Guitar Hero'. I started to play and got a '100 note streak.' I started to think and think about what the kids said at school about me. I started to think about the cut and how it wasn't big enough. I had used a small shard of glass, because that was the first time I had done it.

I decided that I did need something from the store. Something that would hurt me, but something that would look like I needed it for something else. Guess who just got into drawing? And guess who needed an excuse to get a pencil sharpener? Me.