Chapter 4

October 6, 1879 - Midnight

The stars finally settled into place in the sky when the train slowed and came to a stop. A man outside Quiet Thunder's window called, "Carlisle–everyone off for Carlisle, Pennsylvania."

Anticipation snapped her fully awake. Miss Mather had said those words. She peered outside.

Miss Mather climbed into their car. "We're here, boys and girls. Take all your things." She waited as they roused to the realization they'd arrived.

Rolling her blanket, Quiet Thunder's hands flew. She stood, ready to get out of the prison of her seat, stand next to Black Bear again. A glance outside froze her.

Whites again crowded the platform, their faces eager. They spoke to one another in hushed voices.

A chill ran through her. What if they'd come to kill them? She saw no rifles, but whites always had guns.

The students shuffled into the center aisle and down the steps. Bright-eyed wasichu women clutched the arms of men. Some talked with Captain Pratt, or Miss Mather. Pratt spoke in a loud voice and pointed to the students, pride in his weary face. A hush fell over the wasichus. A white man shook his hand, and also spoke loudly to all.

Quiet Thunder glanced at Black Bear. He turned away angrily.

She had to explain before they reached the school, or she might not have another chance. When Pratt led them down dark streets, she hastened to Black Bear's side. He furrowed his brows, glanced back. She did, too, and fear prickled her neck to see all the whites following.

"What are they doing?" she whispered.

He grunted.

"You can't be mad at me for falling asleep."

He hissed through clenched teeth, "You made yourself very comfortable."

"I dreamed you sat by me, not him." Not a dream, but a wish.

"I couldn't sit beside you. You were on the other side."

"That was the agent's doing! I wanted to sit by you." Her hushed tone grew hoarse with anger.

He looked at her, finally. "You didn't have to enjoy it so much."

"I didn't!" Her voice rose above a whisper.

He blew through his lips, and gazed ahead.

She bit back her frustration. Weariness made them say things they wouldn't otherwise. Others now watched warily. She inhaled deeply and marched silently. She'd find another time to make things right.

The group trudged away from the main streets down a long path. The outline of a long building showed against the stars. Pratt stopped them outside and again spoke loudly as they gathered. The words "Old Barracks" and "Indian Industrial School" seemed important.

A white man marked a paper as Pratt spoke. When the captain finished, the man asked something and pointed to the building.

The captain glanced behind him. He heaved a sharp breath before his short response. He strode to the door and went inside. A light appeared in a window and he called to Miss Mather.

The teacher smiled wearily. "Come inside, children."

Quiet Thunder gazed at the dark building as she approached. She tensed as Pratt and Miss Mather talked in terse sentences, their brows furrowed.

With a thin smile, she turned to them, and spoke in their own language. "This building once housed military officers, and is now the girls dormitory. Unfortunately, our supplies are late. And someone should have at least lit a fire," she said, as if to herself, then forced another smile. "But come along and we'll get you settled."