Together forever

"Charles honey, your father and I are going out now! We'll see you in a couple hours!" Charles' mother shouted from the downstairs doorway.

"Okay, see ya later!" Charles shouted back from his bedroom.

Charles had been awaiting this moment for days now—the whole house to himself, and the power to do whatever he wanted. Charles' parents were off to see some romantic comedy and eat at some fancy restaurant while he stayed alone at home during the few hours that they were gone. Charles was 13, but this was the first time that he was really left home alone because his family lived in the country and his parents did not like the idea of him being so far away and so alone when they went out.

He had his whole evening planned out, first he'd watch a scary movie (seeing as he was home alone, it was the perfect mood) and then he'd stay up the rest of the time playing minecraft on his Xbox 360. He smiled as he thought about the evening ahead of him.

Charles switched on the tv as the sun's last few rays disappeared beyond the horizon. As soon as those last few specs of light retreated, leaving him submerged in the darkness, Charles got the strangest feeling. Something was wrong. He rushed upstairs, and went into his room. A bright red flash sent him into a state of shock, until he realized, with a sigh of relief, that it was only his cell phone. It was flashing because he had received a text message. He scolded himself quietly for acting so foolishly. He was safe. All of the doors were locked. He was just being silly.

He picked up the phone to see who it was.

"Unknown caller: Hello. I see your in the. I like your you. Come here."

Charles almost laughed as he read the message. This person was either a complete dumbass or just trying to get a rise out of him.

Charles simply texted back that the person had the wrong number and went back downstairs to put his horror movie on. Halfway down the stairs, however, he could have sworn that he heard a noise. It was a strange, almost familiar sound... He couldn't quite place it though.

About halfway through the movie "Se7en", he heard his phone go off. He paused the movie and went to check it.

"Unknown caller: No I love the you. Come up? Yes that is. Don't so scare about it?"

Charles sighed. This was no longer funny. He had started typing a message telling this person to piss off when he received another text message. And then another. And then another. And then another. Soon he was bombarded with texts.

"Unknown caller: Get here. Is this the then? How can't I? I know you're a there."

"Unknown caller: I know"

"Unknown caller: I know :)"

Charles was now fed up, so he sent a message telling the person to go away. Then he heard the noise again from the other room. It was a weird little noise that he felt he should have been able to recognize. For whatever reason, though, he couldn't quite put his finger what had made it. Probably just the floor or something... What a strange noise though...

Once again, he received a text. He sighed with annoyance.

"Unknown caller: Come in the. I want. I want. I want. I like you're."

Charles almost threw his phone at the wall. Why wouldn't this guy just give it up already? Charles sent a message.

"Charles: Look. You have the wrong number. Go away. Just piss off."

He sat there, waiting. Then he heard the noise again. He knew the noise. What was it? It was so familiar.

He got up and followed the direction from which it came. He led himself into his parents bedroom. He flicked on the television and laid down on the bed, whatever the noise was, it came from this room he thought. Maybe he'd find out that it was just a pipe creaking or something, he reassured himself.

An hour or so passed before he got his next message. He had just started to fall asleep.

"Unknown caller: Please. I see your. I see it. :)"

Charles looked at the message.

"Oh my fucking god!" he shouted aloud,

"Shut up!"

"Charles: Alright. Go away. I don't know who the hell you are or why the hell you keep texting me. Please leave me the fuck alone."

Charles sent the message. He sat there, bitter, his palms sweating, with bags under his tired eyes. He was feeling a mixture of anger and fear.

He heard that familiar noise one final time. This time, however, he realized what it was.

He let out a small whimper and began to cry. He didn't know what to do. He now recognized the noise that he had been hearing as the buzz of a phone that had just received a message.

And it came from underneath the bed he lay upon.

***

Charles' parents came home to find their son gone. All that was left was his cell phone. The last message it had received was dated 12:23 am.

"Unknown caller: Together we can forever now. Charles. :))"