chapter six

Chapter six : now or never

|niall's pov|

This is it. The last day of the change. I'm sat on the table at dr martins vet place thing.. I don't know what to call it. My tail swished nervously, ears twitching in different directions.

Finally, dr martin finally came back in, zayn following behind him.

"Hey nialler" zayn says, giving me a sad smile.

"Niall, I am going to ask you a few questions ok?" Dr martin asks, continuing once I nod. "Do you feel anything odd?"

"Um.. No? I don't think so.." I mutter.

"Is there anything you can no longer control? Not including your tail.."

"My ears" I admit. "Normally I can keep them still, but I can't get them to stay still even when I concentrate.."

"Ok. Well.. Apart from nerves, do you feel ill?"

"I feel hungry"

"Your always hungry" zayn and dr martin jinx.

I chuckle half-heartedly.

"Well, anything else?" I ask nervously.

"Ill do the routine checks, but I think you'll be staying as a hybrid" dr martin says, smiling.

"Really?" I gasp, grinning as my ears perk up.

I bounced into pauls house, grinning widely.

"Calm down niall" zayn says, laughing at me.

"No!" I yell, laughing and sprinting into the kitchen. "Paul!"

I jump at him, wrapping my arms around his neck. Automatically, paul grabs onto my legs- but in a fatherly manner, of course.

"Good news?" Paul asks as he sets me down.

"I'm gonna be staying as a hybrid!" I yell, literally jumping up and down.

Paul simply chuckles, shaking his head as I run back to zayn.

I jumped him in a hug as well, wrapping my arms and legs around him. But I had obviously thrown myself too hard as zayn ended up slamming his back against the wall, the jerk forcing my face closer to zayns, making my lips press against his.

Gasping, I quickly un latch myself and back away quickly, blushing bright red.

"S-sorry.. I-i-i didn't m-mean to d-do th-that"

I look up when zayn doesn't respond. He's simply staring at me, frozen.

Oh god, I've ruined everything.

I hurried past him, to the front door. I felt a harsh spike through my chest when zayn didn't make any attempt to stop me. I ran down the street, passing many people. Some even taking photos. But I kept running, until I finally got tired and slowed to a quick walk.. I don't recognise this place. The shops aren't the ones I live near and none of the people are familiar.

"N-niall, don't c-cry" a girl stuttered, going red. "You're p-perfect and shouldn't be s-sad.."

"Thanks.. Um.." I mutter.

"J-jessica.." She stuttered, twirling her brown hair on a finger. "And yes, i-im a fan.."

"Oh! Sorry, am I ruining this for you?" I hurriedly ask, trying to wipe my face the best I can.

"No! No, its fine!" She quickly said, pulling my hands from my face. "I-i'm glad I am s-seeing you l-like this. It sh-shows you're not j-just some f-famous guy, but a-a caring irish l-lad"

I couldn't help but laugh at that, pulling her into a hug.

"Want anything signing?"

"I-if you don't mind" she whispers, awkwardly holding a pen and photo of the boys and I.

"Of course I don't mind!" I say, stunned as I sign her things. "Anything else?"

"No- wait yes!" She quickly says, as though remembering something.

She reaches up, gently scratching at the fur on my cat ears.

Closing my eyes, I let myself melt into the purr vibrating my chest. I bend my knees a bit, bowing my head down so she can scratch my ears better. She laughs, using her other hand to scratch my other ear. I gently push my head at her hands. She continued scratching my ears for around a minute before sadly pulling away.

I couldn't hold in the sad meow, before straightening up and blushing beet red.

"You're adorable" she reassured me, also blushing. "Bye niall! Hope you have a good day!"

"You too!" I call to her as she walks away, smiling to myself.

I sat down at a bus stop. Turns out I had ran three towns away.

Once the bus came and I got on, it seemed oddly silent. After paying for my ticket, I realised everyone was staring at me..

Slightly un-nerved, I sat at the back of the bus. Luckily they had the decency to not continue staring. Though a lady nearby quickly got up and pulled her son to the front of the bus, glaring at me.

What the hell?

By the time I got to my stop, most of the people had gotten off and not many more got on after looking back, seeing me then suddenly realising that they 'got on the wrong bus'.

I got off with my tail hung low and ears flopped down sadly. The driver gave me a pitied smile, watching sadly as I got off.

I heard loud footsteps getting off the bus as well, about two people. But, thinking nothing of it, I started the short walk down to pauls. He lives down the street from the bus stop- I can see the house already.

"Oi, mutt!" A man yelled.

Confused, I look behind at two hooded lads.

"Yeah, we meant you!" The same man yelled, the two hurrying to me. "We need a.. Word"

"How about a fist?" The second sneered, grabbing my hair.

I gasped as he pushed me forward by my hair, making me fall onto my hands and knees.

"Stay down!" The first snapped as I went to get up, pressing his foot hard on my back until I ended up lying on the pavement, stones digging into the hands, chest and stomach. "Good boy!"

"G-get off!"

"Shut it!" The second yelled, kicking my side.

I meowed loudly in pain, squeezing my eyes shut.

"He said SHUT UP!" The first man screamed, now actually standing on my back.

Involuntarily, I meowed again and tried to reach round and claw at his legs.

"Stupid little-" the second begun, kicking my leg before getting cut off.

"Oi! Get off of him! NOW" someone yelled, strong and demanding.

The two quickly scurried off after kicking me a few more times really quickly.

"Niall, are you ok?" The one who helped me asked, bending down in front of me.

I shook my head, trying to see past the tears in my eyes.

Before I could, I was being lifted up bridal style and carried into pauls house.

"Niall! Louis, what happened?" Paul asked worried.

Louis?

"I don't know, two lads were beating him"

That is louis. I didn't even recognise his voice.. Wow. Well.. It has been a week.

I curled up when louis sat down, whimpering as I clutch onto his shirt. I felt louis' tail curl around mine, in an extremely comforting way.

"Thank you" I whisper, my voice rasper than I expected.

"Go to sleep niall, its ok now" louis whispered, reassuring me.

I could already feel myself drifting, but I had one question I needed answering..

"Where's zayn?"