What the hell is a limerick??

Well, if you're reading this, you'll probably question me saying- Now,now,now. What is a limerick?

Poetry is probably the freest literary form. Poets have free rein on their subject matter, word choice, length, and much more. They can switch word order and even stray from standard English grammar and punctuation rules. However, there are some poets who write poems that keep within certain rules. These poems are called closed-form, or fixed-form poems, since they have a specific format and structure.

One such poem is the limerick. The limerick is a closed-form poem with a light and humorous subject matter. It consists of five lines; the first four set up the joke, and the final line delivers the punch line. Let's look at the specific rules a poet must follow when writing limericks.

A limerick is a silly poem with five lines. They are often funny or nonsensical. Limericks were made famous by Edward Lear, a famous author who wrote the "Book of Nonsense" in the 1800's. This was an entire book of silly limericks.

How to write a limerick:

The first, second and fifth lines rhyme with each other and have the same number of syllables (typically 8 or 9).
The third and fourth lines rhyme with each other and have the same number of syllables (typically 5 or 6)
Limericks often start with the line "There once was a..." or "There was a..."