Chapter Five

Chapter five:

“What’s with the face?” Ryan asked. He was wearing his cute vest and some skinnies. It seemed like he didn’t bother with his hair today because it was awfully messy, but some way, it was cute.

“Nothing I just thought..” I partially said. I looked straight down at both our feet.

“Thought what?” Ryan asked.

“That you weren’t talking to me,” I said in a low whisper.

Ryan didn’t reply for a moment. But then he replied, “Well here I am! Talking to you!” he said as he tried to pick my face up with his finger. His face was a few inches away from mine. He was partly bending down and tried to look into my eyes. Damn it! Did he just come down here to have another make out scene? “Look.. I got to talk to you.. Do you think you can get out of the house?” He asked as I regained eye contact.

I took a deep breath and nodded. I entered the house to find mom looking out the window of what we were doing. “MOM WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?” I practically yelled at my mom.

She kept looking from the window, “I have to see what you kids are doing these days! For all I know you and Ryan could have been kissing!!” she told me, surprisingly calm. My eyes widened. She still didn’t know about what happened yesterday. But I knew if I did tell her, she would forbid me to ever set foot in Ryan’s house ever again. And I wasn’t going to risk that.

“N-no! Ryan and I are just friends!!! Either way! I’m going for a walk with Ryan!” I told her, shaking my head, and exiting back outside.

Ryan bit his lip. “You ready to go?” he asked.

“Yeah. Um no Brendon?” I asked. It was strange to just hang out with just Ryan. It would have been strange to even hang out with just Brendon. I was used to being with both of them at the same time.

Ryan shook his head, “No, I have to talk to you about yesterday and a lot of other crap..” Ryan replied. I knew exactly what he was talking about when he said ‘other crap’ He was going to tell me about his father. Finally. I nodded my head as a reply. “Ugh yeah. So I need to um, well we need to go some place private,” he told me and he took my wrist and began to lead me some place.

We went a little passed the neighborhood. We headed to a pretty peaceful place. I had only seen it a few times. When we drove up here for the first time and when we bike ride sometimes. I’d always tell Ryan how beautiful I thought it was. We sat right underneath the huge oak tree.

“Soo..” I said after the long silence. Ryan wasn’t really good or ready to be talking about this. I noticed.

“Ok. Well. I’m going to share something really personal with you. And I don’t want you to tell anyoneabout this!! The only real person who really knows about this is Brendon, Spencer, and Jon,” Ryan told me. I began to nod, “Ok. Well the guy you saw yesterday was my father. He’s really, strange. Well not strange! He was actually in the Navy for a long time. I’m not really sure why, but I guess he was pretty pissed on how he was treated there. So he began to drink to swallow his feelings and memories away,” he looked at me and stopped to see whether he was listening, I was staring right at him the whole time.

“Well he swallowed everything away. He’s not good about talking about stuff. Him and mom split a long time ago because of this problem. I barley ever see her anymore because she has a ‘better’ family and life. She left my dad and I behind. Either way! Back to my father. He’s an alcoholic,” Ryan stopped again to see my face reaction. I didn’t change anything at all. I already knew. I was in no surprise. So Ryan continued, “Well, he’s been like that for awhile. He’s abusive at time. He thinks of me as a disappointment. Well that’s how I see it,” Ryan said, whispering the last two sentence. I couldn’t help myself. Before I knew it. I was attacked Ryan with a hug.