0.1 | The Casual Affliction

Pale beams of light lured its way through her dorm, forming a masterpiece on the saturated empty wall, the branches of dumbbells clinging to show nature's egoistic outlook.

It was midnight. But she couldn't sleep knowing the fact that it was the last time she could take in the world she perfectly knew.

Retaliation was mere cowardice. Yet it seemed perfect to retaliate.

Gathering clumps of hair, Delaney sighed into the mirror. Her face weary with fear, she vigorously braided it, hair still sticking out.

I will be a part of something that I get to hold on, forever.

Smoothening her jade night gown, she turned to her sleeping half, Imogen. Her blonde tresses fell on her angular face and she snored, a little loud , yet peacefully. She held onto a bottle of beer, like her life depended on it.

It did.

Delaney crept closer to Imogen and pulled back her tresses,careful not to wake her up, caressed her perfect jaw.
She looked beautiful. Clearly, at that moment, it felt like an understatement.

Imogen moved slightly, and Delaney withdrew her trembling hands, and after a few curses, Imogen burped, to which Delaney smiled, her heart tearing itself slowly as she imagined herself being pulled further away from her.
Guilt dominating the only strength she possessed, she bit her lip, and motioned her hands to steal a drop of beer.

She needed it. And it needed her.

With a slight tug, she rolled the bottle away from the hands of her drunk friend and then looked at the roof, a lump in her throat.

'Jesus, I am so sorry.'

And sip after sip, she drank what felt like a gallon. She held her throat to ease the burning sensation and forced to close her eyes.

The pain felt good. However, that was a lie.

Then, she stood still, to listen, her hand tightening around the bottle.
The eerie sound echoed, but she felt the quietness of the room had to be capsulated. Or the beer managed to pull her down.

Murmured screams grew from her window, and she heard her name. She knew the party who intervened that moment of painful silence.

Moving away from her bed, she walked towards the open window, her shriveled heart showing signs of life.
With little effort, she threw open the floral curtains and popped her head out, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

A boy shouted, 'About time, Del. I thought you were dead. '

Del squinted and shook her head. And so did the delusional others. Perfection stood before her and she wished it didn't hurt.

Raidyn grinned, pulling his bike into a swivel. Behind him, three other guys, waved frantically, hiding theirs, under the internally rippled hallway.

Gnasher, a young man of the three, with brief intellectual conduct, shouted,' We need help! Kramer's searching for us.'

Imogen moved again. This time, she let out a light whistle but turned away from the window. And soon, the snore continued.

Delaney mouthed a 'no'. This wasn't the first time.

Raidyn, still grinning, 'Sorry, love. We'll make it up to you. But now, the devil's out to get us, so make your move...fast!'

Delaney felt her cheeks tingle. Either the cold wind or the gallant remark by Raidyn caused an impeccable sense of joy or it was just another stupid feeling that was induced to create hope.