My Cliché Best Friend

Ariel and Ronan are best friends. They have been friends since they learnt to crawl. They are each other's oldest memories. Both of them are inseparable. Where you'll find Ronan you'll find Ariel. When you look for Ariel, you'll find Ronan as well. They are a packaged deal.

Ronan had had a crush on Ariel since 4 years. He loved everything about her. The way she talked, the way her nose scrunched up when she'd get angry. He was utterly and hopelessly in love with her and had decided that the day after the exams he would confess his feeling and ask her out.

But just a day after their Chemistry exam, whilst both of them were casually chatting Ariel asks him a question that could ruin all his plans.

Ariel: So, what are you going to do after the finals? I bet you'll be sitting on your lazy ass watching TV all day. :P

Ronan: (somewhat nervous) Nah... Actually... well... I have a crush on this girl and I'm um planning to ask her out afterwards.

Ariel : Oh really now! Who is she? What's her name? Do I know her?

Ronan: Don't get too worked up, Ari. I will tell you who she is once I ask her. And I think you do know her.

Ariel: I do? And are you sure?

Ronan: Hundred percent. You'll be the first to know, guaranteed.

Ariel: Okay, Ron. If you say so.

For the next few days, Ariel pestered Ron about this girl. Whenever she asked though she'd get the same answer, "I will let you know after I ask her and she replies with a 'yes'". She had gotten fed up of this answer and stopped asking him about it.

After a week, on the day they had finished their second last exam they both stayed up late chatting on the phone with each other. It was this chat at exactly 1:30 a.m that neither of them would ever forget.

Ariel: C'mon, Ron! Just tell me who she is!

Ronan: Ari, I will let you know her name once I ask her out and she agrees, alright? So stop asking me again and again.

Ariel: Just tell me, please? What's the big deal if you tell me now or you tell me then? It's the same thing!

Ronan: No! It is not the same thing. God Ari, otherwise I would have told you.

Ariel: I don't know what your problem with telling me is! Fine! I don't care anymore. Go and keep that girl happy. Don't tell me. Don't even talk to me. Has she already become a bigger part in your life than me?

Ronan (sighs deeply): No! of course not. All right, fine. Please don't be upset. I'm sorry.

Ariel: well? ...

Ronan: Ugh. Why are things always difficult with you. It does make a difference and it is not the same thing.

Ariel: Why?

Ronan: Because... God damn it Ari because that girl is YOU!

Ariel (is speechless): ME?

Ronan: Yes... you!

Ariel stays silent. Ronan flustered, nervous yet relieved took her silence as a sign to continue.

Ronan: I love you, Ariel. You are the one for me. As much as I wanted this moment to be perfect, I should have expected this to happen. You and your stubborn ways. I've loved you forever now,Ari. Please say something.

Ariel: All I want is to be in front of you while you say this.

Ronan (hopeful): Why?

Ariel: So that I can SLAP YOU HARD ACROSS YOUR FACE!

Ronan, heartbroken and angry slams the receiver of his phone and cuts the call. She didn't love him. He had destroyed everything. Devastated, he wishes to take back everything when he hears a faint static-y noise.

He finds an old walkie-talkie Ariel used to use to communicate with him when they were younger, as the culprit. And then he hears he angelic voice coming out of it.

Ariel: You idiot. You should've at least let me continue. I want to slap you hard across your face and tell you how much I've wanted to hear that for the past four years. Because somehow , in some miraculous way I love you too, you dumbass.

And from that day on they were united as one. <3

.