Chapter 2 Kidnapped

With a sigh, I plop down on my half made bed and lie back. I listen carefully, and pick up the sounds of the refrigerator slamming shut, and the tab of a can of beer popping with a frothy hiss. I close my eyes, intent on falling asleep early, but my mind doesn't want to stop worrying about my dad. My fears proves right when the door bursts open so hard it slams against the wall. I jump up to see my father, beer in hand, and an angry look in his eyes. My hands shake a little in fear as I advert my eyes, waiting.

"Beer!" he shouts, spraying spittle from his mouth. "Go get more beer you lazy bitch!" Jumping, I hurry past him without saying a word. I know better not to argue. I get outside before he says anything else, and fight the tears that threaten to fall. I feel childish for crying over such a little thing, so I take a deep breath and instead of going to fill his demand, I start walking towards the woods.

The wind picks up, tossing the dyeing leaves still clinging to the branches of the trees around me. It's already getting dark, and the sky is painted with purples, reds, and pinks as the sun goes down, but I hardly notice. Instead I walk absentmindedly, amazed by the peace of the scenery and the music of the wind in the trees. It isn't until I nearly trip over an exposed root, sending me sprawling to catch my balance, do I notice two things. One- I don't know where I am. Two- it's bone numbing cold.

The cold makes goose flesh rise on my pale skin, and I shiver. My heart seems to back flip in my chest as I look around to see nothing but unfamiliar trees and enclosing darkness. My panic grows as I start running in the opposite direction, only hearing the sound of my own heart beat and my footsteps in the crumbling leaves that had sub come to their fate, and fell to the ground.

I run for what seems like hours, my breathing labored and my legs feeling like jelly. The dark encases me and I can't see what is a foot in front of me, forcing me to come to a much needed slow walk. Now that the initial shock has worn off, I am not as scared about being lost. I'm at least pretty sure that the woods aren't too big, and that I would find someone eventually. It wouldn't be too long, right?

Wrong. I spend a few more hours tripping over just about everything that gets within a two foot radius, including my own feet, and cursing myself the whole way. "Seriously, Arya? You couldn't just go buy some beer illegally as you were told? You just had to go and get lost in the woods, didn't you?" I say to myself, anger fueling each of my shaky steps. I stop and sigh, rubbing my hands down my arms in an attempt to warm up a little. "Maybe I'm going the wrong way," I mutter, and turn to the left. "Not like I can get any more lost than I already am."

I take only two angry steps before I collide with something hard and warm. "Watch yourself, human!" A male voice snaps as I fall onto my butt, but no figure is to be seen. Rage taking over logic, I stand with my fists clinched.

"Watch myself? How about you watch it, buddy! I was walking and you so rudely placed yourself in my way, so you are the one at fault here." I yell into the dark, my voice coming out in an angry growl, but it shakes from how cold I am.

"How dare you speak to me in such a rude manner!" He snaps back. I hear leaves crunching under his feet as he steps forward, but I can't see him besides a faint difference in the shadows in front of me. He's tall, perhaps even a foot taller than me, and as he steps closer, the more I start to process.

"Wait, where you stalking me?!" I yelp, my voice rising in pitch. Why else would someone be out here, at such an hour, and so conveniently near me?

I hear a snort as the person stops, "Stalking? You? Please. I have much more important matters to attend to than following some lowly human. I was simply taking a walk to get some fresh air when I heard you making a bunch disruptive noise."He says in his defense, sounding almost a little unsure of himself, but I can't tell if it is my imagination or not. 

I frown and stare at the figure for a while before saying, "There are a lot better times to talk walks in the woods than at night."

"Then what are you doing, human? Singing a song to your god?" He says in a sarcastic and rude voice. I see his figure shift slightly as he crosses his arms.

"I was taking a walk at day but before I realized it, it was dark and I was lost. And now I think I am running circles." I say defensively, rising my chin in spite of myself.

He laughs, and under different circumstances perhaps I would find the sound hot, but I only scowl. "But that's what you humans do anyway- run circles like mice trapped in a maze, and no way out."

I roll my eyes, offended, "Would you stop calling me 'human'? I have a name you know."

"I am not interested in knowing your name. It's a waste of my time." He says in a tone that now speaks boredom.

"Do you at least know the way out of here?" I ask in a softer voice, and rub the bridge of my nose with my thumb and forefingers.

"You're not going home."

"Excuse me?"

"You're not going home." He repeats.

"And why not? You can't stop me." I snap, getting more and more irritated as the conversation goes on. Why haven't I just walked away by now?

"You've discovered me, I can't let you go now. Something like this has never happened before, or at least it wasn't recorded. So I don't know what to do with you. I am going to have to take you back and let the High Council decide."

"The High Council? What are you, some kind of mafia?"He sighs but doesn't say anything, instead I feel his firm grasp on my forearm and he starts to pull me through the darkness after him, zig zagging through the trees that I cannot see. I stumble after him, "Hey! Stop!" I say and attempt to free myself.

He only tightens his grip. "Stop struggling, you aren't going to get away."

"Let go of me!" I yell and jerk back so hard I fear my shoulder is going to pop out of socket. His grip loosens, then let's go and I hear him growl under his breath. But I am free. I stumble backwards and spin, ready to make a run for it. I barely make it five steps before I run face first into a tree. Stunned, I cry out in pain, and the man takes this opportunity to grab me once again.

"You idiot!" He snaps, dragging me along once again. "I do not have time for this. You are coming with me, even if I have to drag your dead body. Now do as I say and make this easier for the both of us. If it were up to me, I would just kill you here and now but it is not."

At his threat, I instantly bite back anything that I was about to say. He's not bluffing. Besides, who am I kidding? I would probably walk around for days and never find my way. Or a wild animal would get me first. If he was just out for a walk like he had said, then he has to live close by. I can escape then, when I find out where I am.   

Sounds like a plan.