13. One Beef Jerky-Fried Original

Damon's POV:

I was on the way to the 'secret location' we would keep Klaus's body at. Stefan had left, because we had to go back and keep Elena safe, blah blah blah, because Jeremy had put her in the hospital, where Allaric could easily reach her.

Stupid Gilbert.

As I drove along, I couldn't stop thinking about whether Elena would choose me or Stefan, if it really came down to it.

I had helped her through so much, and took care of her whenever my brother went all haywire.

And I was the one, who could make the hard decisions. The ones, that could make her hate me forever, but I knew that she would be safe. Stefan had never been that strong.

I had been rocking out too loud music, getting in the original-slaying mood, when I got a call from Stefan. Oh god, what now.

I answered. "Hello brother. Good news?"

He sighed. "It's Elijah. He's here to help."

I raised an eyebrow, and put the phone on speaker, to concentrate on driving.

"Proceed." I grimaced.

####

Abby's POV:

Elijah was helping the Salvatores and Elena. I always knew he was gracious, and wasn't a killer like his siblings. But they had just locked up his brother. He must have been using a lot of self control.

He started talking as we all sat down at the table, Damon on speaker phone, listening in from the car ride.

"All we need is to take that stake away from him. Once he's disarmed, the weapon in my possession, my family will scatter to the ends of the Earth. And Alaric." He looked over at Elena. "Will follow us."

My heart dropped when he said they would 'scatter'. Of course, I would go with him. I had fallen too deeply in love with this man to back out now.

Stefan came over and sat down. "And you'll just, run?"

"We've done it before." Elijah explained. "Klaus and Rebekah spent the better part of a thousand years evading my father. What's another half century while Elena's able to live out the rest of her natural life."

Elena sighed. "We've finally stopped him Elijah. After everything that he's done to us, I can't just let you, bring him back."

I growled on the inside. She didn't know family love like the Mikaelsons then.

"I give you my word, Elena. I will not revive Klaus within yours, not even within your children's lifetimes." He frowned. "Perhaps that will finally teach him some manners."

Matt shot back. "Why should she trust you? All you've done is screw her over."

Elijah looked up.

"And for that I'm deeply ashamed." He demanded. "But know this. She could've been dead the instant I walked through that door tonight."

That was true. I smirked at this, luckily no one noticed. He carried on.

"So Elena. I leave it to you, to make the decision. Whether to trust me or not."

Damon suddenly burst through the other side of the phone call.

"Not! Hello? Did that concussion give you brain damage? His lunatic siblings will kill you the first chance they get!" He cried out.

Elijah grinded his teeth together. "Rebekah and Kol will honour the terms. If you return Klaus's body to us, Elena will come to no harm." He looked back up at me, now just noticing I'd been there the whole time.