Oh, The Joys of Being "Popular"

Start from the beginning

Me: They're just doing it wrong. Whoever ends up dating Otto will win Queen. He's any girl's key to winning, no matter who said girl is. People love him; therefore people will vote for him and whomever he is dating.

Girl: Pauses. Oh, well, I guess that's true.

Annnnnd cue every girl in a ten-mile radius flinging themselves at my best friend. I said that three weeks ago, so by now I was getting sick and tired of Axel using all these innocent doe-eyed females just to get a couple of good fucks from the girls who would put out, and decent blow jobs from the ones who at least had a small shred of dignity. I love my best friend, but he was being absolutely repulsive.

"I know," Axel told me, sticking his tongue out. I shook my head at him before we started to walk down the hallway towards the exit.

And that's when this super weird thing happened.

Some guy, a decent looking, small-waisted brunette, about my height with really good style, shut his locker door in front of us, then began to walk towards us. It was beyond obvious he was checking Axel out and I resisted the urge to point it out.

When he had gotten within conversational distance, his eyes finally settled on Axel's face. He smirked.

"Axel," the boy called out, his voice strangely deep, causing my best friend to snap his eyes up to the boy as soon as he tossed a small object towards us. Axel caught it, stopped walking, and stared down at it. He started chuckling when he realized it was his wallet.

"Thanks, man. I owe you," Axel told him with a head nod. I was growing suspicious. The kid looked familiar, maybe, but he definitely wasn't someone we would ever hang out with.

The kid only smirked. "Don't worry about it," he said, some weird sensual undertone to his voice I didn't quite understand. Axel chuckled again before saying a goodbye and resuming his walk again.

I was left dumb founded in the middle of the hallway for a few seconds, flashes of smirks and eye rolls and once over's falling into place in my mind. I jogged to catch up to Axel.

"You fucked him, didn't you?"

Axel barely even hesitated. "What? No I didn't. He's in my group for the history project. We were working on it at his house last night and I forgot my wallet."

I could always tell when Axel was lying to me. He hated doing it, so he always avoided my stare, rushed his answer, and crackled his knuckles behind his back.

Right now, he was doing all of the above.

"Axel, I know you're lying, I can tell when you're lying." For some reason, my voice was rising and anger was coursing through my veins. I hated it when Axel lied to me.

"Jesus Tuck, you're in our history class. You know we're in the same group!" This time he looked me in the eyes, only because his words weren't necessarily lies. His cheeks were flaming a light pink, though, and that's what really gave him away. Axel never blushed, like ever.

"Stop lying to me! I know you fucked him!"

Axel pushed me square in the chest after I said-yelled, really-that last part.

"What the fuck, Tuck? Stop yelling at me, leave it alone!"

He stormed away from me, throwing open the double doors that led to the senior parking lot, looking like he was in some high school rom-com film. I jogged to catch up to him, sighing with impatience.

Once I reached him, I grabbed his shoulder. "Can I borrow a dollar?"
It was a dick move, sure, but it was the only way I was going to get him to admit he was lying to me.