Chapter Eight: Hybrid

Start from the beginning

I hesitated. "I don't know. I...I love you, Jack, I don't know if this will change your view of me, and I'll still love you, but I don't know..." I broke off and looked away, biting my lower lip.

He squeezed my hands. "Hey."

I met his eyes again.

"Um...I'll always, er, love you." He said softly, looking awkward. "And of course this will change my view on you. But not for the worse, I suppose. I'll just look at you like you're a hybrid for a while."

I chuckled hoarsely. "I am a hybrid, Jack."

He grinned, and stood, pulling me up with him. "I think this calls for celebration!" He announced, reaching under his desk, his ringed fingers emerging with a bottle of rum.

He walked around the table and pulled the cork out with his teeth, spat it out, then offered me a sip.

"I get first sip?" I asked dubiously, staring at the mouth of the brown bottle.

He smirked. "Of course not!" He raised it to his mouth and took a hearty gulp.

I rolled my eyes and took it from him, drinking my own measurable amount. "You never change."

He shrugged. "You seem to like me, how I am."

I smiled and handed the bottle back to him. "I do."

"See?" He let me drain the rest. "I'm perfect."

I smiled, feeling slightly dizzy from the drink. "I am incredibly fond of you, Jack, but you are certainly not perfect."

He shrugged. "Neither are you." He winked. "Don't underestimate me."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah. Whatever." I took his arm. "Are you drunk, or can we go out on deck and evaluate the situation?"

"What situation?"

"We're out of provisions, Jack," I said miserably. "...and apparently rum. Where are you getting this stuff?" I gestured at the empty bottle rolling on the floor.

Jack reddened. "That is for me to know, and no one to find out."

I sighed with mock exasperation. "Fine. But--"

"No, I am not drunk," He waved me off. "That's only most of the time. Tipsy is a whole different level of inebriation. Let us go and evaluate the situation then, I suppose."

I smiled, I was constantly smiling around him, and followed him out into the blinding sunlight. That had actually gone well. Fairly well.

"Why is all but the rum gone?" Pintel was moaning.

Gibbs, leaning on his back, held up his flask helplessly. "Rum's gone too," He muttered miserably.

I rolled my eyes and let Jack tug me away. He led me over to the map table, where the Navigational Charts were sitting. Jack sat down in the chair, and I plopped down on the tipping floor beside him.

He spun the circles, deep in thought. Jack could be serious when he wanted to. The rest of the time, well...

"What are you thinking about?" I asked him, peering over his shoulder.