The living room suddenly became extremely small and tight. I look at my father to see him frowning at Mason. "Cut it out." He snaps. My brother retracts his canines and slightly loosens, however he doesn't take his eyes off of Colton.

Neither do I...

Colton speaks to my father, along with Nile and occasionally Stella. He would throw me glances every now and then, catching me staring. But I never stopped. I watched the way he spoke, he hands buried in his pockets as he stood tall. He looked confident, considering just a few days ago he was a Theta.

Colton seemed to be eating up whatever my father was saying, occasionally laughing. His laugh was so rich and thick, I could feel the vibrations from across the room. I closed my eyes, moaning softly at the sensation. It's spectacular... What vibrations can do... It's almost as if I can hear. But not... I know the beat, the rhythm of his laugh, just not the sound.

With music, I have it blast extremely loud, much to my family's displeasure, so I can feel the beat course through me. That way I can dance, understand the language of what is being played... It's quite fascinating really.

When I open my eyes, I find everyone staring at me. Taken aback, I look around in confusion. "What?" I ask.

You just moaned. Extremely loudly. Mason says to me, using the mind link to prevent further embarrassment. I blush a dark red as I eye Colton who is squinting at me, his eyes a darker shade of blue.

"You have a wonderful laugh. I could feel it... The vibration. It felt good."

Oh, I am so horrified right now.

I need to shove my head down a toilet. I shake my head, face palming myself. Literally. I slap my forehead.

Before I can embarrass myself any more, I ditch the living room and run straight to my favorite place in the house: the ballroom.

Even though this is the place my grandparents were slaughtered, I just couldn't get over the beautiful designs. The wood makings, the stain-glass windows, large, crystal chandelier and the perfectly polished hard wood floors.

It's a shame we never use this room. I've never once seen a celebration take place in here, or some sort of party. I'm the only one who comes in here; I guess you could say it's my place.

I take a seat at one of the chairs along the side of the dance floor, pressed up against the windows. Leaning back, I drop my head into my hands, groaning.

I am such an idiot.

I didn't even want to meet this guy, and now I am a total, blubbering mess. Maybe that's a good thing... He'll decide he doesn't want such a catastrophe and reject me.

The thought of rejection saddened me. How painful it is to be rejected; nearly kills each member.

But how could I go and be with the man who lives in the pack that killed my mother? I couldn't... As my father said, Colton and Nile had nothing to do with the attack... But to think I'd be living in the same house that Jenny and Tyler used to live in... I nearly want to vomit.

Perhaps that house makes the members insane... Tyler's father was the one who killed Landon Matthews' dad many years ago. And then there was Tyler... and Duke.

I'm already cursed. Why would I want to heighten my odds of heartbreak and chaos and misery by living in such a place?

Because Colton is my mate. And I belong with him. That is my mother in me speaking. If she were here right now, she'd say,

"Forget the curse. Forget the fact the Prowler pack has had bad luck. Forget the fact Tyler and Jenny used to live there. You have the opportunity to contribute in making the pack a better place. Into making it how it should be. Colton is your mate, and I always told you this day would come. Saying goodbye will be the hardest obstacle you overcome. After that, it's smooth sailing, sweetie. You will be blissfully happy. I promise."

Tears roll down my cheeks as I can practically hear my mothers voice, saying this to me. And of course, even dead, she is right. This is what I was meant to do. What I was born to do. And I will honor my mother, by going to the Prowler pack, the one that killed her, and make it into the pack it has the potential to be.

I feel the floor shake beneath me, causing me to look over to see Colton walking towards me. His hair is slightly mused, his face even more beautiful than the last time I saw him. About five minutes ago...

"We're leaving, Shaye." My eyes widen at what he says, causing me to shake my head as tears form in my eyes.

"N-no. I-I'm not ready." I haven't even said goodbye... And for pete's sake! It's the day of my mothers funeral! Shouldn't I at least be given the day to mourn with my family? To do everything I want with them before I am taken away until Lord knows when?

Colton squats in front of me, shaking his head as he places a hand on my knee. "No. I wouldn't ask you to do that, Shaye. Not yet. Nile, Stella and I are leaving. You and your family deserve the space and time to mourn." I stare at him with complete awe. Mates never leave each other behind. Once they find each other, they are nearly attached at the hip until the mating bond is complete. Colton shoots me a dazzling smile, "But I promise I will be back. I will be back to collect you and bring you home. I just wanted to say goodbye. And I am truly sorry for your loss."

Colton then stands, leaning down to place a kiss to the top of my head. His lips linger a moment, sending undeniable warmth to surround me. When I look up at him, he is walking away, his hands clenched into fists as he does so.

He's controlling his wolf. I say to myself.

As I watch him go, I think to myself, perhaps it is possible that Colton will prove to be a much better man than Tyler or Duke ever were. Perhaps, one day, I will even fall completely in love with him. Just the way my mother did with my father.